Puzzle Corner: Jigsaws


NAH and I often rent a cottage for our UK holidays. Most of them have a stock of books and games to help wile away any rainy days and that's how we've rekindled our love of jigsaw puzzles. It's great to have something companionable to do on a rainy day or in the evening before going out.

It's got to the point where we're disappointed when there isn't one available, so we've started to buy them as presents to guarantee we'll get our puzzle fix. As you can see, NAH's latest choice for me was very appropriate.

Photo of the 2010 Chelsea Flower Show jigsaw puzzle box
I've just bought this jigsaw via eBay which depicts 2010's Chelsea Flower Show. It's doubly good as it's the first one I attended during the build as well as the show itself, thanks to Mark Gregory's generosity. His show garden is one of the ones featured on the jigsaw, so it's a great souvenir of happy times.

Now to persuade NAH we need an early holiday, so I can tuck it into our suitcase in readiness...

Do you enjoy jigsaw puzzles? Have you found any which match your interests?

Puzzle Corner will be back next winter - I already have a few things lined up to get you thinking!

Comments

  1. I've always enjoyed doing jigsaws but haven't done any for a while. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've really enjoyed starting again Flighty. If you have The Works near where you live, they often have some very reasonably priced ones available.

      Delete
  2. I do enjoy jigsaws and I did have one made from a photo once but it wasn't very big, Now to pass a bit of time I have an App on my iPad that makes virtual jigsaws from any photograph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great - I must see if there's an android version

      Delete
  3. I like the look of that VP. Himself and I are on the home straits of the latest work in progress entitled 'The Bizarre Bookshop No. 2'. As usual I'm convinced that there is a missing piece or two. We've recently enjoyed a few designed by writer and illustrator Colin Thompson. I've recently noted that he has a new one out called 'The Gardener's Cupboard' and I'm not sure whether I will be able to wait until the autumn to have a go at it :) It's not always companionable harmony here - he moves pieces that I've sorted and grouped together without telling me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that can be a pain, Anna! NAH and I quickly learned we needed to tell each other if we were grouping pieces or had them in strategic places. It works, but isn't foolproof!

      Delete
  4. I used to love Jigmaps when I was younger (remember those?) and bought a whole set of them when my son was younger for us to do together. (Educational and fun!) My knowledge of where all the states are in the USA is appalling so that one's always challenging and I managed to get a really old JigMap of Africa from Ebay - extraordinary seeing how the continent has changed since the 1950s. I'm now wondering if my Mum would be up for a jigsaw challenge … C xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds an ideal thing to do with your mum, Caro :-)

      Delete
  5. I'm not usually a jigsaw person. There seems to be something destructive about cutting up a picture and absurd about putting it back together. HOWEVER I can imagine enjoying doing THIS jigsaw in the circumstances you describe - especially if I can have the right company, rain and an open fire. I've imagined-in some green hills outside . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The completed puzzle is set to go to exactly the spot you've described Lucy :-)

      Delete
  6. I have done quite a few puzzles over the years, some I have glued and made into pictures hanging on the wall. It’s been a good few years since last time, not since I started blogging - I have too much to do in the garden and on the computer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helene - I'm making a concerted effort to do more gardening and less computing this year and I'm feeling much better for it :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project