Postcard from Mevagissey


We've just got back from a glorious week in Cornwall, where there were plenty of dancing daffodils and preening primroses gracing the hedgerows. There were flowering camellia hedges and magnolia trees to admire in everyone's gardens too.

I particularly enjoyed seeing the camellias as I can only grow them in a pot owing to my limestone clay soil. They truly deserve to be free to grow into large shrubs or trees as they do in Cornwall. Then there was the sight of magnolias at least twice the height of those grown around here... some with blooms as big as my head. Magnificent.

We stayed in the traditional fishing village of Mevagissey, in a cottage called The Salt House, which recalled its role in the heyday of the pilchard fishing industry. It was good to see the fishing boats still outnumbered the pleasure boats in the harbour, though that may change later in the season.

We happily whiled away many an hour eating locally made ice cream whilst we watched the boats sail out or land their catch. There were plenty of good fish restaurants too, which introduced us to the delights of gurnard and black bream, in addition to the freshest of fish and chips purchased on the quayside.

Most garden visit opportunities were sadly missed as NAH wasn't feeling that well, though I did manage the glories of the national collection of magnolias at Caerhays Castle. Actually, it was quite nice to forgo garden activities for once, and watch the ever changing seascape and the winking harbour lighthouse from our bedroom window instead.

Comments

  1. How lovely to see Mevagissey again, I had a wonderful holiday there years ago. Sorry NAH hasn't been feeling well, but it sounds as if it was still a good break. I hope he is all better soon. Cornish gardens are a delight aren't they, I'm a big fan of magnolias and camellias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was our first visit CJ and we loved it :)

      Delete
  2. I hope NAH is recovering, it's a bummer to be ill on holiday. But there can't be many better places to relax in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, thanks Jessica. In some ways it was good to be forced to have a good stop, and as you say it's a grand place to relax :)

      Delete
  3. You went to a lovely place but I hope NAH is feeling a lot better now. It was probably good just to recharge your batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see the title of your post, I spent a lovely afternoon visiting Mevagissey last April. So nice to kick back and enjoy some down time watching the fishing boats bobbing about - enjoyed fabulous Fish and Chips in the atmospheric Fountain Inn. Hope NAH is on the mend.

    Angela -Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhh the Fountain Inn. They closed it on Saturday for a huge gathering - who were there to celebrate the life of a friend who'd died recently and left £5,000 in his will to be put behind the bar. From the stories we heard it seems he was quite a character!

      Delete
  5. A lovely place and area. I hope that NAH is feeling better. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a great destination for a holiday at this time of year VP. Hope that you have returned home feeling fully relaxed and that NAH is on the mend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds fabulous, I love Mevagissey, and at least NAH had a lovely place to feel a bit ropey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we said at the time Janet. We were both happy to be there :)

      Delete
  8. We stayed near Mevagissey a few years ago and visited the Lost gardens of Heligan. I'm so glad you enjoyed your holiday. Hope NAH is feeling better now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heligan's still on my To Do list Margaret, so we'll just have to go back!

      Delete
  9. I feel a Cornish mini-break coming on! thanks for the inspiration. I've just planted a little magnolia stellata against my sheltered house wall and am looking forward to magnolia blossoms in years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've come back resolved to release my Magnolia stellata from its pot. I've been reassured by the Assistant HG at Caerhays it should do fine in my alkaline soil :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project