GBBD: What the Dahlias are saying

Guess what Dahlia 'Spartacus' is saying

I couldn't resist a quite different Blooms Day post this month as this dahlia gave Alison and I a giggle at Mr Fothergill's trials site last week. It really is called 'Spartacus' and was my favourite from the hundred and three on display.

According to the National Dahlia Society it's classified in the Decorative Group and Large flower categories. They go on to say it was raised by M. Senior in the USA (where most of its suppliers appear to be), introduced in 1992, and suitable for exhibition purposes.

I'm going through a red phase at the moment, so a giant 4-5 foot high dahlia with a deep red blooms almost the size of my head fits my mood admirably. According to the RHS Plant Finder, this dahlia is only available from a couple of suppliers in the UK, so I hope it passes the trial and is listed in the next Woolmans catalogue.

There's more from the trials day to come, once I've stopped giggling ;)

Garden Bloggers Blooms Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.


Bees playing on Dahlia 'Happy Single Party'
The appropriately named D. 'Happy Single Party' - a fantastic dark-leaved dahlia I've grown before

You may also enjoy: What the butterfly and rudbeckia are thinking.

Comments

  1. Beautiful!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mist admit to being more of a fan of the smaller singles ar the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're my favourite too Sue as they're so good for insects, but I do indulge myself with a selection of the others too!

      Delete
  3. The trouble with that 'Spartacus' is that he's so darned big-headed! (A little [very little] joke for your collection.) Happy Blooms Day, VP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good, especially as Kirk Douglas's head looks so very large on the screen owing to the 70mm film and projection technique used! My inner nerd has found this article on widescreen film projection... Super Technirama 70 is the one to look for in this instance A History of widescreen

      For those of you who don't know Kirk Douglas played Spartacus in the film of the same name, with a famous scene which I 'borrowed' for this post ;)

      Delete
  4. Made me smile too. I love that colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expect to find it in a garden near you, Karen. Alison loved it too :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project