New Beginnings

Suggested resolutions for 2017

Here's a chuckle for regular readers who know I don't make new year's resolutions... it's the answer to a meme I was tempted by on Facebook the other day. It's a pretty good set of actions to live by in 2017... if I only knew who Ruth is!

However, despite my lack of resolutions I have made some new commitments for 2017. The clue is in the top line above; my mother's move to a local nursing home means I'll be spending more time with my family this year. I'm learning to appreciate the little things too - the impact of mum's stroke affected her speech, so every new word she speaks, or when she manages to string several together are very much appreciated. They're small victories to celebrate with a cheer.

As a result we smile a lot rather than talk. Each one is much appreciated by me as mum couldn't smile at all for a while and they show she's more comfortable in her new home. Her face lights up when the staff come into the room, so I'm reassured I've made a good choice for her. Today we had laughter too and a grabbing of both hands, a sign that some strength is returning to her at last. I'm told the road to recovery from a stroke can take up to two years, so we're living each of those precious moments too.

One of mum's new words is 'flower', in response to the thoughtful Christmas gift of a bowl of hyacinths from the nursing home staff. She loves their scent and her strong response to them means I've resolved to grow some cut flowers for her this year. I've earmarked two of my raised beds on the allotment, and I'm in the process of making a list of what to grow. Look out for more blog posts once seed sowing starts.

Comments

  1. I don't do New year resolutions but these look good to me. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty - I don't really think of these as NYR's. They're more of a way of life going forward. Perhaps they're the best kind of resolutions?

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that your mum is improving and that you are getting some joy from this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, it's very much new territory for us all.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely gift idea from the nursing home staff. I'm sure that you will enjoy growing your own cut flowers, I certainly do. And I hope your mum enjoys them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a relative newbie for cut flower growing - I've tended to keep flowers firmly in the garden in previous years! I now have the perfect opportunity to learn :)

      Delete
  4. Oh what a fabulous set of signposts for a New Year VP. It sounds as if your mum is settling in and I can imagine how comforting that must be for your peace of mind. I'm sure that there will be more smiles when you start to bring her your own home grown scented posies. Hopefully there will be surplus for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Anna... in the meantime there's always the opportunity for a spot of light foraging for catkins and pussy willow :)

      Delete
  5. Enjoy growing flowers for your mother. I remember how much my mother enjoyed the roses I brought her when we lived in Porterville.
    https://eefalsebay.blogspot.co.za/2014/04/flowers-from-my-mother-Kathleen-Yeates.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing you did for your mother. I've been looking at the roses in my garden with fresh eyes thanks to your comment Diana :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so pleased to read that your mum has settled in well after the move and that you're both benefitting from this new arrangement. Happy new year! Caro x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you Caro! I see you've been having a similar time - hope all is going well for you.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful post, VP. Small steps on the road to recovery gradually add up to a considerable distance. Love to you and your mum x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon - I think singing's most definitely a way in. She positively snatched my songbook out of my hands yesterday when I took it in after performing at Bradford Roots festival :)

      Delete
  8. I do hope you find out who Ruth is, so you can go to the movies again, VP:) So sorry to hear about your mother, but it's heartening to hear that she is making some small steps to recovery; I wish her continued improvement. When my mother was in the nursing home, I often brought flowers from my garden; I think she appreciated those more than any florist's bouquet. Enjoy your special moments with your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be there with my Girls' Night Out buddies tomorrow Rose. Thanks for your good wishes :)

      Delete
  9. My mum had a stroke 3 years ago though it doesn't sound as severe as your Mums. She had to work hard on her speech which is Ok now, although she gets tired and frustrated trying to remember or get words out. It sounds like moving your Mum closer to you was an excellent idea. My advice is to take small steps and as you are doing celebrate each small achievement

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen - good to hear from you :) I'm feeling a lot better now Wiltshire's Stroke Co-ordinator is involved. Birmingham should have ensured continuity of care, but didn't. Luckily the home I've chosen places mum in the area served by Wiltshire's top speech therapist, so hopefully that means no long term harm done and she can catch up.

      Delete
  10. New Years resolutions for me is to re-kindle my blogs on this site.
    I enjoyed your writings today and look forward to reading more in 2017
    Sorry to hear about your Mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi miss mary and welcome to Veg Plotting! Good luck with your blogging in 2017 - it's a lot of fun :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project