A green bouquet

Eryngium foliage makes a great green bouquet

The Eryngium leapt over the central terrace wall into the lawn many moons ago. NAH's threat to 'mow the meadow'*, as he calls the wild and woolly lawn, prompted me to cut back the emerging flower heads to make his job a little easier.

Instead of composting them as I usually do, I decided they would make an interesting green bouquet for the house. It looks like they last quite well in the vase, a week at least.

Green allium seed heads made a long lasting bouquet in my Flowers for Mum project last year. It meant she had flowers (in the widest sense) in her room whilst I was on holiday. I'm definitely warming to the green bouquet concept.

I rather like the effect of these architectural stems (and one of the new filters on my editing software), what do you think?

Eryngium in a vase - original photo for comparison
Original photo for comparison

* = of course if it was a real meadow, he could leave it until much later in the year 😉


Comments

  1. A little enhancement makes a big difference!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice indeed..and better than having them seed everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, too late gz! At least I know what to do now :)

      Delete
  3. With texture and colour (and fragrance!) on offer, I often use only foliage in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lesson I'm enjoying learning Diana. What are your favourites?

      Delete
  4. Good to see a post from you VP :) I hope that the wrist is healing although I imagine it's a slow process. Green is a most appealing colour in all its shades so deserves pride of place in a vase. The filter adds an almost unearthly glow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, it is. I have the choice of using the computer, or limited driving or gardening at the moment. Seeing I only started to garden again mid May you can guess which is the chosen option most days! However, I have a couple of catch-up posts planned for the near future :)

      Delete
  5. I don’t have any lawn over here but I would be happy for those to pop up anywhere in my garden. They make a lovely arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, I love Eryngiums and I certainly don't mind where they pop up. I'm thinking they'd do well in your garden - they're a Mediterranean plant so should stand the Texan heat methinks.

      Delete
  6. I'm all for green bouquets and love eryngium. Was hoping to take home leek flower heads this weekend having waited got ages for them to pop out of their papery caps. Alas it seems that the bees love them and who can deny a bee happy? Will make do with opium poppy seed heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love onion family seed heads Colleen :) As you say, the bees absolutely adore them. I have a few just about to burst on the plot. Opium poppy seed heads are as good as the flowers and last for ages.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project