Chelsea 2024 sneak peek #1: Clematis

Clematis 'Lindsay' and 'Guernsey Flute'

One of the highlights of the recent Garden Press Event was the Guernsey Clematis stand where they showcased their two clematis due for launch* at this year's Chelsea Flower Show. If you're unfamiliar with the company name, then I'm sure you know of the lovely Raymond Evison, who is the breeder behind these two new plants.

* = if they're launching them at Chelsea, then it looks like I've let the cat out of the bag 😉

On the left of the photo we have 'Lindsay' with 'Guernsey Flute' on the right. Both have been selected for their plentiful blooms across the entire length of their stems, flowering from May through July with a second flush in September. They grow to around 6 feet in height (90-120cm in metric) and are good candidates for a large pot as well as the more usual site in the garden.

'Lindsay' is the one for sunshine and 'Guernsey Flute' for the shadier side of things - as is the case with most white clematis. Unlike its forebears, the petals are thicker and able to withstand poorer weather, which often turns white to a splashed, mushy brown in other cultivars. The flute part of the name is because the opening buds are held in a fluted shape for quite a while before they fully open.

I must have been looking longingly at 'Guernsey Flute' because I was asked if I'd like to take one home. I enthusiastically said yes before thinking about the practicalities. I spent the rest of the show hiding behind my plant surprising passers by and then wrangled it onto the Tube at the Angel. 'That's lovely' said the lady going in the opposite direction on the escalators, so I showed it off proudly to everyone. Luckily I'd just missed the rush hour so I was able to nurture my plant onto the Circle Line and onto the train at Paddington. I felt like I was in in one of those post-Chelsea plant sales segments on the telly when impossibly tall plants make their way home with their new owners.

Thank goodness I was booked onto a table seat, where my new friend waved at her fellow passengers. I did get a few looks of amusement from everyone and the gentleman sitting opposite finally steeled himself out of his typically British demeanor to ask how on earth was I sporting a fully grown, prolifically flowering plant in February. Kudos to the staff at Guernsey Clematis for getting so many plants in tippity top condition so early in the year. See you at Chelsea!

Clematis 'Guernsey Flute' on the train


Comments

  1. What fun!! Good for you in taking that beauty home with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda - just need to plant it now :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Diana - back home now and dealt with. Luckily only one from that source got through, the rest went straight to Spam

      Delete
  3. I do admire you travelling home, by train, and connections, with your tall flowery friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was quite worried about it before I started, but it was a lot of fun in the end!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

The Resilient Garden

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

Merry Christmas!

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project