GBBD: Pretty Resilient

White Cyclamen hederifolium in my front garden

This time last year I was mourning the loss of the huge box ball by our front door due to box moth ripping through the whole of Chippenham. Much to my surprise I found the pictured cyclamen, still green and alive despite 15+ years of being completely covered by the box. A silver lining to my problem!

Earlier this year I created a small bed surrounding the box's stump and planted some grasses and a couple of ferns, both tough as old boots: they need to be as the ground was hard and unyielding. I've also added a couple of hellebore seedlings I found self-seeded in the gravel path in the back garden* and added a thick layer of mulch a) to keep the lawn weeds at bay, b) to lock in some moisture in this extremely dry patch, and c) to kick start soil formation.

The cyclamen has found a new lease of life, pretty much doubling in size in terms of its ground cover over the summer and now it's rewarding me with its pretty white flowers which help to brighten up this north facing patch of garden. It's obviously a 'right plant, right place' so I plan to add 2-3 more this autumn, especially after I looked up where cyclamen do well. It's pretty resilient, with the ability to grow in deep shade under trees (hence its survival despite my poor treatment) and poor soils. Also, tubers only need 1 to 2 inches of soil so they won't mind the unexpectedly shallow soil I found after removing the box. Perfect.

* = rather surprising as the ones I planted are doubles and reputed not to set seed. You live and learn and waste not want not!

Cyclamen peeping out to say 'hi!'

I had a look around the areas I've guerrilla gardened under the trees on the public land next door and sure enough, there they are 😊

A box moth on my box ball last year

This is what the adult moth look like - pretty isn't it? Beware if you see one in your garden, you can guarantee the caterpillars are already there munching away at you box and you'll need to act fast. Here's what you can do if you find them in your garden - sadly I noticed far too late and my box ball was beyond redemption.

What's pretty resilient in your garden? Have you encountered the box tree caterpillar and/or moth?

Garden Bloggers Blooms Day is hosted by Carol over at May Dreams Gardens.

Comments

  1. I am not even sure hardy cyclamen will survive in my garden but what a pretty bloom it has. Box tree moths weren't spotted in my New York State until less than five years ago and I expect they will move into my area before too long. The main pest we are concerned about right now is the spotted lanternfly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something isn't there Alana! It's taken a few years for the box tree moth to arrive here in Chippenham and I was amazed how quickly it's ripped through the whole town. Fingers crossed it stays away from your neighbourhood. There are houseplant cyclamen too, are they available on your side of the pond?

      Delete
  2. I like cyclamen, but don't have the right shady spot to give them a try. Since box tree moths stay with boxwoods (I looked it up), I'm fine. Boxwood is one of the few plants I dislike, so won't ever have!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

VPs VIPs: Derry Watkins of Special Plants

Red Nose Day - Gardening Jokes Anyone?

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project