Seen at The Festival of the Tree

...if you would be happy all your life, plant a garden - Chinese proverb

Sunday, 1 August 2010

GBMD: Thoughts in a Garden


What wondrous life is this I lead!
Ripe apples drop about my head;
The luscious clusters of the vine
Upon my mouth do crush their wine;
The nectarine and curious peach
Into my hands themselves do reach;
Stumbling on melons, as I pass,
Ensnared with flowers, I fall on grass.

Andrew Marvell, Thoughts in a Garden

If only - my reality is thus:
  • Windfall apples drop about my head and that of the allotment society chairman whilst inspecting my plot
  • The grapes on my vines are tiny because I forgot to water them
  • Alas I have no nectarines, peaches or melons
  • But I am ensnared with flowers and it's been rather nice to have a little doze on the lawn this summer ;)
The picture is part of the monastery gardens in Litomysl in the Czech Republic (I also showed another view + link to more info here), which had the most luscious of grass to fall upon on very hot afternoons. I have plenty of thoughts to share with you about this garden for this month's OOTS. Kick-off post is due tomorrow :)

Garden Bloggers' Muse Day is hosted by Carolyn Choi at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago.

7 comments:

  1. Well, at least the apples were falling AROUND you and not ON you! And I'm all for flowers and napping; but not such much on watering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica - it was a very near miss on a couple of occasions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I somehow chuckle at the idea of you dodging falling apples. BTW, I'm about 4.5 hours east of Chicago, in Ann Arbor, Michigan, I just travel to Chi a lot and am a Chicago wanna-be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Either way its a wonderous life, even with all the mishaps.

    Enjoyed your musing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But that's why we love gardening - we strive for perfection but always fall short. But next year ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been awash in thoughts of a very particular British gardener, her garden - and poetry. I can't wait to see OOTS. One of my favorite categories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi eveyone - glad you enjoyed the poem

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

4/4/2014 - Anonymous comment spam came back with a vengeance today, so sadly I've had to halt this facility for a while for the sake of commenters who like to read what the genuine follow-up comments say.

If you're having problems leaving comments, you can contact me using the Contact Form at the foot of this page, or via vegplotting at gmail dot com, or @malvernmeet if a quick tweet is more convenient for you. That way I can get things sorted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...