Book Review: The Cut Flower Patch

Since attending the British flower growers gathering last year, I've been keeping a weather eye on what they've been up to. This and talking to Cally and Sara about their exciting ideas for Our Flower Patch* has formed a steady drip, drip of influence on my plans for the plot this year.

So it's very timely that I have a review copy of Louise Curley's debut book, The Cut Flower Patch. Many of you will know Louise as wellywoman and that growing cut flowers is a passion of hers.

Louise's easy writing style shines through in this book and Jason Ingram's stylish photographs form an accompaniment which I'm sure will encourage lots of other readers to get growing immediately.

Louise provides a good argument for why growing our own flowers is an enjoyable and sustainable task. She shows how a surprisingly small area can be used to provide buckets of the freshest possible flowers for a good proportion of each year. There's an in-depth guide to around 35 of the best flowers to grow from seed or bulb and she's not averse to a spot of foraging either.

As well as a good growing guide, Louise provides top tips for harvesting, conditioning and arranging your flowers to ensure they have the longest time possible in the vase. Sowing and plot maintenance calenders, plus a list of favoured resources at the back of the book rounds things off nicely.

This is a very practical book, written from a personal perspective with lots of eye candy to flip through for inspiration. I'll be looking to transfer Louise's ideas to not one, but a few smaller patches of ground next to the raised beds I built on the allotment last year.

To balance out my review nicely, here's Louise's thoughts on her publication day last Friday.

* = more on this coming soon :)

A special offer for you...

... would you like your own discounted copy, from the publishers Frances Lincoln?

To order The Cut Flower Patch at the discounted price of £16.00 including p&p** (RRP: £20.00), telephone 01903 828503; or email mailorders@lbsltd.co.uk and quote the offer code APG101.

Alternatively, send a cheque made payable to: LBS Mail Order Department,Littlehampton Book Services,Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3RB. Please quote the offer code APG101 and include your name and address details.

**= UK ONLY - Please add £2.50 if ordering from overseas.

Comments

  1. It is a beautiful book isn't it! Reading the book, Louise has converted me, I only used to cut flowers from the garden when it was my turn on the flower rota at church! I will have to pinch one of my veggie beds for a cutting patch, so will give it a try for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good review about an excellent book. I think that it will be the book of choice now for cut flowers. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely succinct review of Louise's book - it seems we've all fallen in love with the idea of fresh flowers from the garden and been converted by this book! I used to be able to largely ignore the flower seeds on the shelf but find myself drawn to them now … as if I needed any more seeds in the box! :D Will look forward to seeing your cut flower choices later in the year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Has everyone except me been asked to review this book? I haven;t read a bad review about it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone - good to see you're enjoying the book too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been trying to work out a cutting garden, so this book may have to be on my list. Wonderful for Louise to have this book published.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project