Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands

The craft of skep making - as demonstrated at the Edible Garden Show on Saturday

After the success of The Bloggers Cut for last year's Chelsea Fringe, I've just registered my exciting new project for 2014.

43 gardeners' hands as seen at Lacock
Roll up, roll up for... Shows of Hands!

This is another simple idea which I hope you'll like. It was sparked by Paul Debois' award winning 43 gardeners' hands I saw at Lacock Abbey in 2010. Paul's given his blessing to his work forming the inspiration for my event.

This year I'm asking you to submit a picture of hand(s) in a garden, or in the act of gardening or some sort of garden-related activity.

This could be a close-up like the above picture, or of someone working in a garden - especially if their hands are mucky! Or perhaps you'd like to take a group shot of your community gardening project with everyone waving their hands in the air. The hand(s) can be human, or not - it's entirely up to you.

Like last year, I'll create a map of everyone's participation with links to your posts and tweets. I'd also like to create a visual group summary - perhaps a collage of some sort. Your ideas for this are also welcome.

Wot no cake? I hear you cry... Pictures of friends, family etc in the garden with cake in their hand are very welcome. They'd be a neat way of linking last year's Fringe event with this one too :)

I'll write a kick-off post with more details when the Fringe starts in mid-May. I've started posting a bit earlier this year (it helps that I've come up with an idea earlier this time), so the Fringe website has something to link to. We'll also be chatting on Twitter with the hashtag #showsofhands. It's worth keeping an eye on #chelseafringe too.

Paul Debois also has a Fringe event this year, called Wildlings. You can find out more about his collaboration with Lynn Keddie and Alys Fowler here and here. Scrolling down Lynn's blog (the second link just now), I found a couple of great Shows of Hands examples in her post on picture composition. Worth a look for some further inspiration.

Comments

  1. This looks like fun so count me in again. I'll do a post mentioning this sometime soon linking backing to here.
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you join in again Flighty :-)

      Delete
  2. We did the cake last year so count us in again this time. You just made me look at my hands now which is currently laden with scratches after tidying up a yucca...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray - looking forward to seeing what you do. I wonder which song will be playing this time :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh what an imaginative idea VP and will be only too pleased to join in. Puts thinking cap on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Anna your Avatar helped me realise there are all kinds of ways this idea could work :-)

      Delete
  4. What a great idea, and I've loved finding Lynn Keddie's blog - fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool idea! The season hasn't started yet here so I'm afraid my hands are still as soft as a baby's...um...hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great to see something from you next month :-)

      Delete
  6. Oh that's great to hear Cj - she has some great technique posts as well as showing her work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't think how I missed this post before. What a great idea. I'll join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! You did such a good contribution last year Helen :)

      Delete
  8. Cannot wait to take part! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Noemi - I was hoping to link with the physical Fringe in some way like we did last year. Looks like you're the start :)

      Delete
  9. Really looking forward to join it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Count me in, just remembered I was in Cornwall last year for the cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurray :) Yes, I've just been looking at your cream tea!

      Delete
  11. I've recently been running feltmaking workshops in London's community gardens such as London Wildlife Trust's Centre for Wildlife Gardening in Southwark, and Brockwell park Community Greenhouses in lambeth, so have lots of pics of hands making colourful felt in gardens! Count me in too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sounds wonderful Carol - welcome to Shows of Hands :)

      Delete
  12. I've recently been running feltmaking workshops in London's community gardens such as London Wildlife Trust's Centre for Wildlife Gardening in Southwark, and Brockwell park Community Greenhouses in lambeth, so have lots of pics of hands making colourful felt in gardens! Count me in too...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project