A Purple Patch


Saturday was the first day that really felt like spring as there was a glorious light and a real warmth outside. I managed to spend a comfortable time tending to my garden's needs rather than retreating indoors after an hour to thaw myself with mug of hot chocolate*.

March tends to be a month noted for the colour yellow, but it was the fat patches of purple crocus which made me reach for my camera. They're not so profuse as in previous years; probably a combination of thieving squirrels and constriction by the encroaching ivy from the public land.

The ivy's taken over quite a bit of the garden whilst I wasn't looking, along with some wicked looking bramble which hopped over the fence and sneakily anchored itself behind a large shrub before popping into view.

I've been struggling to think of my summary word for 2015. I've got it now - it's Reclamation.

* though my mug of hot chocolate was welcome anyway ;)

Comments

  1. We have purple colours too - interesting purple us the complementary colour to yellow. Directly opposite in the colour wheel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's why it really pops out in the garden and I love how bright sunshine makes the crocus open its throat wide as if in welcome, though of course it's really telling the pollinators to come and get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the crocuses as well, I'm not such a big fan of yellow flowers. There's ivy and brambles shuffling their way into my garden as well. They think I don't see them, but I do. Their days are numbered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're numbered here too CJ, though I have a sneaking suspicion they'll rearm and hop over the fence again ;)

      Delete
  4. Love your purple patch, crocus always seem to say springtime to me. We also have so much ivy trying to cover the borders, it is never ending pulling it out, I hope you win your battle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of pulling out here too Pauline. However, I do like to keep some ivy on the fence as it's a good food source for bees in late autumn. I must be more vigilant and ensure it doesn't take advantage of that though!

      Delete
  5. Lovely picture. I've had mostly white and yellow crocuses this year. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Flighty - my yellow ones are out the front providing a contrast with the snowdrops :)

      Delete
  6. I adore crocus. The purple looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelli and thanks for Following Veg Plotting :)

      Delete
  7. Oh I look forward to purple crocus in spring...voles have taken most of mine....what a sight and I like your word for 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna - and now I need to reclaim the allotment ready for this year's veg ;)

      Delete
  8. "Reclamation" - I like it and may well adopt it VP :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Reclamation" - I like it and may well adopt it VP :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project