Tree Following With Lucy: Late Summer Update

New growth sprouting from the ash stump as photographed for "Tree Following with Lucy: Late Summer Update"

It's late summer and three months since my last update on the ash tree I'm following. As you can see, May's Green Shoots of Recovery have grown both in length and profusion. Nine months on from November's Drama, it's clear my tree has indeed survived and grows stronger by the day.

The ash tree after last November's tree surgery
The form of its recovery is intriguing. My tree stands in the small clearing which marks the extent of its former canopy and as a result is lit pretty evenly all round. Yet all of the new shoots are coming out of just one side, which is the location of one of the two 'prongs' the tree surgeons left last November (see right).

Could it be only one part of the tree survived? What role (if any) does the ivy we can see curling around the other 'prong' play in the tree's regeneration?

A closer inspection is required...

Visit Loose and Leafy to see what the other Tree Followers found this month.

Comments

  1. 'A closer inspection is required' then you leave us in suspense!
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in suspense too Lea as I didn't have time to make the inspection, nor research anything before the post's deadline! Have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  2. It's the same story with the London plane trees outside my window. They were chopped dramatically a couple of years ago and looked like stone monoliths for months. I was convinced they'd been killed off but today they're three leafy towers again. Our stumps were considerably taller than yours though …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote about the amazing pollarded planes I saw coming out of London on the bus earlier this year. They really do look like they've had the most drastic of chops in the winter don't they?

      Delete
  3. Intriguing, I agree. Are there any other indications that the one side is more healthy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to look at my other Tree Following photos Hollis, I seem to remember there was something showing further up the tree which may be signs of damage or disease...

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project