A Potted Challenge

A Kew long tom pot with daffodils

I've learned recently styling product images for a client isn't one of my fortes, so when I was offered the opportunity to style a pot using one of the Kew Long Tom range offered by The Orchard, I saw it as an opportunity to try again.

I've admired these crackle glazed pots for a while having first seen them at Kew a few years ago. In my head I saw a lovely spring arrangement complete with nodding daffodils, primulas and trailing ivy.

However when the pot arrived I found it didn't have a drainage hole. Another lesson learned: look carefully at the small print as well as the pretty picture.

Luckily NAH came to my rescue with a surprise birthday gift of tulips. I have very few vases and they were already stuffed with Cornish daffodils. My new pot proved to be the perfect solution.

I may pluck up the courage later to try to drill a drainage hole so it can join the terracotta long toms I have in the garden already. This blog post has a detailed guide. As for styling - I still have a lot to learn...

Update: I like this brief guide about product photography from Wix - a site I've found to be pretty good for various guides to photography. Google 'product photography' and loads of links [of varying quality] are returned in the results.

I must also go back to the still life work I did as part of Clive's course last year - I should have played around with blurring the background more for the top right and bottom left images.

Comments

  1. Lovely tulips! Glad you found a use for your pot, but how irritating to discover it didn't have a drainage hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fault Janet - if I'd read the company's website more thoroughly, it is stated quite clearly. Some of the other companies stocking this range don't

      Delete
  2. What a good idea. Surely having no drainage hole is a serious design fault. Have you spoken to the supplier? Maybe someone missed yours when making the holes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue - I've checked several websites including Kew's own and most of them say there's no drainage hole, so that's how it's intended. Like you, I think that's a design fault - if I used this outdoors I'd be using a plastic pot as an inner and raising it up slightly. Not ideal, but workable.

      Delete
  3. A beautiful pot and gorgeous tulips! The photos are magazine-worthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous pot, and beautifully shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you've certainly done a wonderful job here! The arrangement looks fabulous!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project