GBMD - Ring Out Wild Bells


Ring out, wild bells, to the wild sky,
The flying cloud, the frosty light:
The year is dying in the night;
Ring out, wild bells, and let him die.

Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.

Ring out the grief that saps the mind,
For those that here we see no more;
Ring out the feud of rich and poor,
Ring in redress to all mankind.

Ring out a slowly dying cause,
And ancient forms of party strife;
Ring in the nobler modes of life,
With sweeter manners, purer laws.

Ring out the want, the care, the sin,
The faithless coldness of the times;
Ring out, ring out my mournful rhymes,
But ring the fuller minstrel in.

Ring out false pride in place and blood,
The civic slander and the spite;
Ring in the love of truth and right,
Ring in the common love of good.

Ring out old shapes of foul disease;
Ring out the narrowing lust of gold;
Ring out the thousand wars of old,
Ring in the thousand years of peace.

Ring in the valiant man and free,
The larger heart, the kindlier hand;
Ring out the darkness of the land,
Ring in the Christ that is to be.

From: In Memorium by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (1809-1892).

Happy New Year everyone - may your gardens and plots flourish in 2009, unlike my poor frosted Clematis in the photograph!

Garden Bloggers' Muse Day is hosted by Carolyn Gail at Sweet Home & Garden Chicago.

Comments

  1. Good photo and a terrific poem!
    Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely poem. Just what I needed today.

    A happy new year to you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Veep, what a refreshing poem to begin anew, let us follow that excellent path! Happy new year to you and yours!
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every bit as apt as when the poem was written. A most happy new year to you too and happy gardening !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear veep... I appreciate your clematis dressing for the season...he/she looks wonderful! Have a marvelous day and I wish you a fantastic New Year!
    Gail
    I do like the line that reads...never mind, I like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year VP. I so love the line Ring out the wild bells - for me it is filled with a kind of abandon!
    Lovely photo and poem.
    K
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year to you too, frost and all! Regards Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year VP and best wishes for 2009. Boy did we have frost - two days solid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year my friend. Catch up with you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect poem for today, VP! I was looking for a good New Year's poem, but couldn't find one. What were those websites thinking when they left out Tennyson??! If only all these wishes for the New Year would come true. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful musing for New Year's. Wishes you and yours all the best in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great poem! It's kind of how I've felt this whole Christmas season. Letting go of all that has no purpose or meaning, and looking to the things of importance and significance.

    2009 can be a really great year! I'm looking forward to growing the newbies I've ordered this year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love old Tennyson!..being a Lincolnshire girl...Nice to hear from you..and I love Lupins too.Very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year! I love the Tennyson. I took a rather different tack - Gershwin! - but I think they are equally joyous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi everyone - thanks for your positive comments on the poem. It's full of great sentiments for the New Year isn't it? I'm coming over to yours for a visit instead of commenting back here.

    Happy New Year everyone!

    ReplyDelete

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project