Seen at The Festival of the Tree

...if you would be happy all your life, plant a garden ~ Chinese proverb

Monday, 1 June 2009

GBBD: Bed In Summer


A perfectly fragranced bed for summer: Thuja plicata, roses, lilies, pinks, lavenders and irisis. Click here for the planting plan from Chelsea's Perfume Garden

In winter I get up at night
And dress by yellow candle-light.
In summer quite the other way,
I have to go to bed by day.

I have to go to bed and see
The birds still hopping on the tree,
Or hear the grown-up people's feet
Still going past me in the street.

And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894) from: A Child's Garden of Verses (1885)

Do you remember that frustration when you were a child? I certainly do!

BTW I'm rather pleased to be double posting today. I have a lighthearted guide on how to spot it's summer over at The Guardian Gardening blog: if you enjoyed my guide to spring, then I'm sure you'll enjoy this one too.

Garden Bloggers Muse Day is hosted by Carolyn Choi over at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago.

6 comments:

  1. I sure remember the feeling, and I also remember how difficult it was settling my little girls down when they were...little girls. :) I love that sweet poem. And a perfume garden sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember tossing and turning in bed in sheer frustration at being able to hear other children still out playing when I was supposed to just go to sleep - in what seemed to me like broad daylight still!!!

    I love the idea of a perfumed garden ...maybe another little project for me?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most appropriate choice on a day like today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would let the comments on the Guardian post get you down.

    I think most people understood it was a light-hearted post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...please add 'nt in the appropriate place - sorry about the omission - kind of makes my response a little ambiguous..I hope you get what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy - they actually produced perfum as part of the show garden. My friend H had a sample and it was pretty good.

    Nutty Gnome - good to see you back here :)

    Anna - thanks.

    Phil - I've covered this in our later discussions today.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

4/4/2014 - Anonymous comment spam came back with a vengeance today, so sadly I've had to halt this facility for a while for the sake of commenters who like to read what the genuine follow-up comments say.

If you're having problems leaving comments, you can contact me using the Contact Form at the foot of this page, or via vegplotting at gmail dot com, or @malvernmeet if a quick tweet is more convenient for you. That way I can get things sorted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...