Postcard From Devon

Walking the dog on Exmouth beach with the local lifeboat on manoevres in the background

Greetings from a wilder and more woolly Devon than most postcards show. We've just come back from a week in Exmouth, where blustery walks were the order of the day. The coastal resorts of Torbay and elsewhere might be more popular nowadays, but Exmouth is Devon's oldest seaside resort and has a nice quirkiness about it.

This view is looking across the Exe estuary towards Dawlish, where last week's weather once again halted the coastal trains for a while, though not as dramatically as the storms did earlier this year. Just out of shot to the right is the coastal spit of Dawlish Warren, a national nature reserve as well as a holiday resort. The Exe hosts thousands of overwintering birds, which we had the chance to see when we took a boat trip up the river.

We also experienced a little of Transition Town Totnes, where we at last caught up with our dear friends S and L who moved there just over a year ago. It was great to stay with them and also take part in a community quiz at their local pub. I was deeply envious of their close proximity to the amazing art deco sea filled swimming pool at Brixham, where they spent many a happy hour over the summer.

We had some fantastic walks straight from the doorstep, where the weather helped to make us feel truly alive. I've realised how much I need to step out the door for a brisk walk and find an immediate and dramatic view, something which isn't available in Chippenham without a drive beforehand. In the meantime, I can at least check out the view via Exmouth's seafront webcam.

Comments

  1. How wonderful Michelle! We have friends in Exmouth and stay there usually at least once a year (but not this year funny enough). Dawlish is such a delightful town too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My best friend from Uni came from Exmouth, so it was great to finally to get to know his home town a little better :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay, you were only 15 minutes from us! Maybe next time Michelle, we could meet up for lunch somewhere. Had the avocets arrived on the Exe yet, they are a wonderful sight in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a wonderful idea Pauline - I had no idea I was so close to your neighbourhood. Wouldn't be odd if I actually saw you whilst we were away?

      Delete
  3. Lovely area, always enjoyed my visits at various times of year and in all weathers. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great part of the world :)

      Delete
  4. My husband's godmother used to live in Exmouth, which is how I got introduced to it. Thank you for the link to the webcam - that was a soothing five-minute break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea I had so many readers with such close connections with Exmouth :)

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful spot for a break. All of that wind and sea air, so invigorating, I'm glad you had such a good time. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I HAVE to go to the sea from time to time CJ. I get cranky if I don't. I have no idea why!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project