GBBD: Brightness Amongst Winter's Decay
|A bright daffodil nestles amongst the decaying Echinops stems in my winter garden.|
It's been a record breaking winter. There was record warmth and rainfall for December, possibly January too for the latter. Now we're poised on the cusp of the coldest spell of the winter thus far, possibly the coldest for the past few years.
So it seems fitting to enjoy my garden's solitary record breaking daffodil whilst I can, possibly sentenced to doom in tonight's forecast frost. It flowered just before Christmas and has had to stretch itself almost impossibly high to get itself noticed amongst the Echinops stems.
It's a record breaking winter for blooms in my garden too. I expect many of these will get nipped in the bud tonight, so it's fitting to record the full list for this month's Blooms Day and posterity. There's a total of 35 flowers and even if you take the 4 new-to-the-garden snowdrops away from the total, this is still my most floriferous January ever.
- Clematis cirrhosa 'Balearica'
- Clematis cirrhosa 'Freckles'
- Crocus tommasinianus (a little early perhaps, but more expected than unexpected)
- Cyclamen 'Snow Ridge' (wine form)
- Cyclamen hederifolium (light pink and white forms)
- Galanthus elwesii
- Galanthus elwesii 'Lady Beatrix Stanley'
- Galanthus nivalis
- Galanthus nivalis 'Flore Pleno'
- Galanthus nivalis 'S Arnott'
- Galanthus plicatus 'Augustus'
- Galanthus plicatus 'Percy Picton'
- Helleborus 'Anna's Red'
- Helleborus (unknown pink vintage, probably x hybridus from a friend)
- Helleborus x ericsmithii 'Winter Moonbeam'
- Lonicera x purpusii 'Winter Beauty'
- Primula 'Cottage Cream'
- Pulmonaria (unknown pink vintage from another friend)
- Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn'
- Viburnum davidii
- Bacopa (white trailing hanging basket plant as chosen by Franks Plants)
- Centaurea montana
- Dandelion (oops!)
- Fuchsia 'Pink Fizz'
- Knautia 'Red Ensign'
- Lonicera (self-sown honeysuckle of unknown summer vintage)
- Mangetout pea
- Narcissus (unknown variety)
- Nemesia 'Wisley Vanilla'
- Rocket (arugula)
- Rosa 'Kew Gardens'
- Rosa 'The Fairy' (red form)
- Rosmarinus officinalis Prostratus Group
- Salvia 'Amistad'
- Strawberry 'Mara des Bois'
I'm amazed there are almost as many unexpected blooms as there are expected ones.
How's your garden faring this January?
Garden Bloggers' Blooms Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.