GBMD: Winter Garden

In winter's cold and sparkling snow,
The garden in my mind does grow.
I look outside to blinding white,
And see my tulips blooming bright.
And over there a sweet carnation,
Softly scents my imagination.

On this cold and freezing day,
The Russian sage does gently sway,
And miniature roses perfume the air,
I can see them blooming there.
Though days are short, my vision's clear.
And through the snow, the buds appear.

In my mind, clematis climbs,
And morning glories do entwine.
Woodland phlox and scarlet pinks,
Replace the frost, if I just blink.
My inner eye sees past the snow.
And in my mind, my garden grows.

There's no picture to accompany this poem today, so that you can imagine the garden of your dreams just like Carol Magic-Lady Cynthia Adams did.

Update 20/7/2011: The poem's author Cynthia Adams has kindly been in touch to tell me that the internet source I used for this poem has the incorrect attribution. It was actually published in the Dec/Jan 2003 issue of Birds & Blooms magazine. I'm so glad she contacted me as something didn't quite chime as right with me at the time, but I didn't come up with anything after further delving (and hence the lack of link). I'm very happy to have the opportunity to put things right.

Do join Carolyn Choi over at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago for more garden bloggers' musings :)

Comments

  1. Great choice, VP! The words paint the most lovely of scenes, and I think all of us will nod our heads as we dream of the gardens to be. :-)
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great choice for today, VP! We had similar thoughts--not the same poem, but the same theme. You're right--the images conjured in our heads of spring gardens are always perfect and full of blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delightful poem and it's filled my head with delicious images of spring! gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggling not to be stumped for words because I came over to check the mention on

    http://esthersboringgardenblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/book-reviews-eastern-mysticism-life-on.html

    is ok.

    Happy Spring, VP!

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone - glad you liked the poem and the images it conjured up for you :)

    Esther - the mention was fine - as ever :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project