Tree Following With Lucy: June



If the embedded video doesn't work, try this link instead.

The ash tree is fully clothed now, so I thought a short video would make a nice change from the usual still photo taken from our bedroom window. There's no visual sign of Mr and Mrs pigeon this month, though at least one of them can be heard.

Sue Garrett from Our Plot at Green Lane Allotments neatly anticipated today's post last month when she commented:

Do you get lots of debris from the ash and lots of self sown tree seedlings? My sister's garden is plagued with one that overhangs her garden.

I think this photo answers Sue's question! I'm forever finding seedlings from the ash tree plus its neighbouring birch and maples. As you can see, some of them still manage to get through and make a substantial seedling before I spot them. 

As for debris, yes we do get quite a lot of small branches and twigs dropping off the ash tree. It does seem to be one of those trees which tends to lose minor limbs quite often as well as having the major incident we had last December.

I've also spotted what looks like a major scar in one of the branches towards the top of the tree, so who knows what might land in our garden next...

Here's another picture of that seedling - with its parent lurking in the backgound. How on earth did I miss it until now?


Have a look at Lucy's blog over at Loose and Leafy to see what my fellow Tree Followers are up to this month.


Comments

  1. That is the problem is spotting the seedlings before they develop into small well rooted trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Sue, I scour the garden and convince myself I've purged the garden of every last seedling, but there's always one or two that manage to come through to surprise me. However, I can't envisage not having the trees, they give us so much privacy from the public land next door and also help to create the illusion our garden's so much bigger than it is.

      Delete
  2. Not just me, then… I'm another ash-seedling scourer - I've got three big trees and small trees to the power n. I'm always pulling them out. They're at their worst in the rosa rugosa hedges, where they can get quite big. And what a lovely vid - essence of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are forever pulling up seedlings of our ash trees, hundreds each year! I would miss them if they caught the disease that is killing them, so I keep checking that they are all still healthy at the top. Thank goodness they seem quite easy to pull out, as long as they are young enough, but yes, we too miss a few each year when it becomes a bigger job to get rid of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my ash tree and yours too but I am forever finding new trees popping up before I know it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grow the cultivar Fraxinus Raywood (claret ash) and have never had a seedling from it - unlike the maple, the Nyssa, my neighbours cocos palms.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rather liked the video; birdsong especially good. Did I tell you I saw a cuckoo near my house in Wales - first I've ever seen I think , though of course I've heard them from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a French film about a small rural school - Etre et Avoir (To be and to Have) in which there's a long episode of nothing happening except huge trees swaying in the wind. It's mesmerising. I find the same with even a short video like the one you have of your ash. A tree is not a tree unless it moves! And the sounds that go with it . . . ! I think it would be good to encourage more tree followers to make videos of their trees if they are able. (Have you seen this one of a bee visiting a tulip tree flower on Adventures in Natural Bee Keeping? http://solarbeez.com/2014/06/08/tulip-tree-blossoms/ )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project