ABC Wednesday 4: I is for...



... In Bruges on market day
NB If you'd like to look at an image for longer, just hover your mouse over it and the pages will stop turning until you move your mouse again.

On our first day in Bruges we kicked off with a walk to the local market. I loved being merged in with the locals - trying to make out key Flemish phrases, hearing the cries of the hawkers and comparing it with markets back home. There's a lot of similarity, but I liked being able to try lots of fruit before buying and I reckon about half of the veggie space was devoted to Witloof chicory - hardly seen on sale in the UK. I did find some sprouts too. A small livestock section was a surprise and at last there were lots of garden plants on view. Judging by what was on offer, Bruges and its surrounding area must be on an acid soil. Nearly everyone was stopping off at the flower stall to buy an enormous bouquet to brighten their weekend.

Here's a selection of images from the 'living' part of the market, tucked away down one of the side streets and a smaller square. I've spared you the clothing and household sections, though I can't believe I didn't take any photos of the mouthwatering cheese and meat stalls. Perhaps I was concentrating too much on the free samples at this point! And we found the cheapest fresh coffee in town - 1 euro, complete with mini praline Belgian chocolate egg :)

For other Interesting Images for today, head on over to the ABC Wednesday blog.

Comments

  1. Great idea! And I love markets! We have such a fabulous one here in Seattle and it's such a treat to go shop there! Thanks for a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat VP. I imagine that you must have spent a good while there just mooching, sampling and soaking in the atmosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely trip in the market. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your market seems so delightful! I don't think we have any markets like that around here in Pennsylvania. Maybe Flea Markets in the Summer : ). Delighful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A delightful place! I'd love to stroll about and look at all the exciting images. Thank you for sharing your very fine photography!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so envious. That is definitely a place I want to visit. Thanks for the images.
    --Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed my morning stroll around Bruges market-thanks VP. Sure beats Chippenham market....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a wonderful market for a mooch around. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your slide presentation, make me feel almost with you at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous market. Markets are one thing that I really miss in my part of Canada. We do have them but they just don't compare to the ones in England.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks like a wonderful market - very tempting

    ReplyDelete
  12. if one picked up an interesting bulb or two, would there be a problem bringing it into the u.k.? i imagine scooping up a chick or two to bring home might be frowned upon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful!! How come everyone seems to do markets better than us???!! That was a great show; so much on offer and lots of colour. The animals were a nice surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awwww, baby animals are so cute (I'm sorry I don't find male adult mallards cute...).

    ReplyDelete
  15. VP, Wonderful photos...I was ready to load my grocery carryall with all kinds of goodies from the market...gail

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want the cheeses and meats and I'll be back for the flowers and bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Bruges. Sometimes I wish I could take a large van over there and fill it up on market day. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness, I would be in heaven in a market like this! I don't suppose the ducks and rabbits were for sale as pets, though:(

    I've missed your last two posts and didn't realize you were in Belgium. Didn't you just take a holiday to celebrate your birthday and anniversary? NAH is such a sweetheart for arranging such a beautiful trip! I'm trying to remember just what this city was famous for...perhaps the home of some famous Flemish painter? Sorry, my memory of history classes is a little shaky at this point. Enjoy this wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've just been reading all your posts on Brugge. I enjoyed them very much as I've been to Brugge last year and I recently watched In Bruges. ;-)

    The pics you showed of the market all look so familiar as we have the same thing in the Netherlands. When I went to the market in Leiden (I used to live close by) I was always amused by the exclamations of the British tourists when they spotted the flower stalls.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi everyone - thanks for your kind comments. I'll catch up with you over at your place :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have great memories of visiting market day in Brugges a few years back, ornamental cabbages spring to mind. Nothing comes close to it, not in the area I live anyhow. It goes without saying, the edible produce and flower/plant stalls were out of this world. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. And I'm pretty sure the whole of Bruges turned out to shop there. Sadly that doesn't happen in Chippenham, but sadly our market's a much poorer affair :(

    ReplyDelete

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project