Seen at The Festival of the Tree

...if you would be happy all your life, plant a garden - Chinese proverb

Wednesday, 11 November 2009

ABC Wednesday 5: Q is for...

...Quirky

My blog is often described as quirky and I take that as a real compliment: it's probably the best way I'd like you to think about Veg Plotting. But what does quirky actually mean? The Free Dictionary defines quirk (pronounced kwurk) as:
  1. A peculiarity of behavior; an idiosyncrasy: "Every man has his own quirks and twists" (Harriet Beecher Stowe).
  2. An unpredictable or unaccountable act or event; a vagary: a quirk of fate.
  3. A sudden sharp turn or twist.
  4. An equivocation; a quibble.
  5. Architecture - a lengthwise groove on a moulding between the convex upper part and the soffit.
It goes on to cite Collins Thesaurus' alternatives for the adjective quirky as:
odd, unusual, eccentric, idiosyncratic, curious, peculiar, unpredictable, rum (Brit. slang), singular, fanciful, whimsical, capricious, offbeat, out there (slang) We've developed a reputation for being quite quirky and original.
Well, perhaps I can't fulfill definition number 5, but I aim to do something with 1-4 and all those Thesaurus options ;)
Seeing quirky means unpredictable, perhaps the ABC Wednesday meme can be described in the same way? Hop on over to today's contributors and see what you think.

12 comments:

  1. Quite right VP - quirky describes the very quintessence of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that word, it has a great sound and it if fun to say. I love your blog VP, you are like a tutor to me I learn so many great thing by reading your blog regulary.

    Tyra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose my blog's a little quirky, too. Mostly because I can't commit to a single theme!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Surely being an allotmenteer means that you have to be somewhat quirky! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, quirky is a good word and you are right to think of your blog that way. In fact, I'd say, quirky is excellent, just like Veg Plotting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like quirky!! Quirky is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever use of the word an all the definitions. Stop by and see my quirk quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quirky is a worthy goal, which you clearly have achieved. I'm aiming for eccentric myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quirky is good for blogs! And other things as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi everyone - I suppose an awful lot of bloggers are rather quirky, particularly if they post on just about anything!

    Thanks for your comments and compliments everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think "quirky" also suggests interesting, which your blog always is, VP!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Rose and BTW MMD, I like the look of eccentric too - perhaps that's why we like each other's blogs?

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...