Seen at The Festival of the Tree

...if you would be happy all your life, plant a garden ~ Chinese proverb

Thursday, 5 November 2009

How Advertising Works in Chippenham #10


  1. Decide on a completely new product range for your garden centre
  2. Assemble your publicity material
  3. Ensure it has a prominent display in the latest Garden Club newsletter
  4. Wait for a blogger with a camera to spot something's wrong
  5. Et voila!

For me this is wrong on two levels: Victoria has also explored the topic of garden centres' chosen product ranges recently - worth a look not only for her views, but the ensuing conversation in the comments. My local garden centre's also displaying a banner alongside the main road which reads: Our themed Christmas store now open. Guess what the theme is?

In the interests of balanced reporting I should also add they're organising a project to coincide with National Tree Week, where representatives from each school taking part will have a session at the garden centre on how to plant a tree and look after it. They'll then choose two trees from a selection of native species to take back to plant in their school grounds :)

8 comments:

  1. Do you mean the fact they have written shop's?
    Could be that they have opened a toy shop in each of the two garden centres then it would be shop's?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave - yes it is the shop's - the apostrophe shouldn't be there because it's already in the Whitehall's bit. There's nothing belonging to the shops, they belong to Whitehall.

    It's only a matter of time before I get caught out on the state of my grammar too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the toys belong to the shops ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those misplaced apostrophes are everywhere VP :) I am beginning to doubt myself every time I see one. The tree planting project more than makes up for the grammatical error.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear not more clutter at Whitehall? Every time I visit it seems to be expanding. Never managed to find anything I ever fancied buying in their nik nak hall there's just acres of obscure tat! And have you seen the price of their chirstmas decorations??? I had to be sedated last year when I saw how much they were charging for a string of dried oranges and a cinnamon stick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The world seems to have taken a bizarre twist today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to be the worst blogger for spelling mistakes.

    So I tend to post photos in preference to writing and use spell check, but then no spell check for comments so I can't criticise really.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dave - perhaps ;)

    Anna - I'm really pleased about the tree planting :)

    RO - it's set to get even worse there as they've had planning permission granted to expand. I wonder how much of the new space will actually have anything to do with gardening?

    TS - doesn't it do that every day? ;)

    Joanne - I'm dreadful with comment spelling too, particularly as I can't type as quickly as my brain would like my fingers to be able to do.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

22/12/2014 - Anonymous comments have been disabled over the Christmas and New Year period.

15/11/2014 - I've allowed Anonymous comments again as Google have recently added some extra security to prevent spam. Let's see how it goes...

If you're having problems leaving comments, you can contact me using the Contact Form at the foot of this page, or via vegplotting at gmail dot com, or @malvernmeet if a quick tweet is more convenient for you. That way I can get things sorted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...