These Aren't Just Crocus Corms...

... they're saffron crocus aka Crocus sativus crocus corms, courtesy of one of Emma Cooper's bargain finds on her blog a couple of weeks ago*. I've always grown the ordinary autumn flowering crocus and I'm always looking for ways in which I can shove one or two more edible items into my borders, so this was too good an opportunity to miss :)

30 corms have now been distributed around the garden in little groups of 3, planted just over 3 inches deep. The packet says they flower in September/October, but in view of their relatively late planting, I reckon it'll more realistically be sometime in November this year.

I'll keep you posted on their progress :)

* = no longer available, but bargains may still be found if you look around the interweb.

Comments

  1. I didn't know these would grow in the UK - I'd always assumed that as saffron was a Middle Eastern spice that we couldn't produce it here. What will you use it for? Aside from Risotto Milanese, I'm never really sure what else to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SVG - hi! Like you I thought saffron was confined to warmer climes, so it'll be interesting to see how it performs in my garden. The corms are said to increase here in the UK, which sounds like they should do OK.

    We have curry every week, so I suspect some of our precious crop may get used up in that way :)

    BTW I don't think we'll be harvesting loads of the stuff - certainly not by starting with 30 corms. Perhaps I should plant some more up at the allotment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snap! I was very excited when my order came this week - just love their silky corms. Have done my dutiful bit and distributed 3 dozen to 3 well deserving homes, now plotting where to actually plant the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hillwards - that's great news. I'm so pleased my tweet about their arrival inspired you to find another bargain, albeit for a greater number of corms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These grow leaves in spring and flowers in fall, like mini naked ladies lilies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica - I think we call those Colchicums over here?

    ReplyDelete

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project