A Jewel Garden

Brightly coloured guerrilla planted tulips on a grass verge in Chippenham

Someone's worked hard to make Chippenham a better place. These tulips are a few minutes walk from our house and they're exactly what springs to my mind whenever a jewel garden is mentioned.

These verges are by Chippenham's double mini roundabout which often gets clogged up with traffic. For once a traffic jam is a pleasant place to be.

Judging by the reactions on my Facebook page, the planting's brought plenty of smiles to others in Chippenham. It was probably done by one of the residents in the cottages nearby, but I don't wish to know exactly whodunnit.

That would spoil the magic.

Dog walkers amongst the tulip verges in Chippenham

Update: our local newspaper solved the whodunnit. It's a Brazilian lady who got up early each morning to plant the bulbs she purchased. She's due to leave Chippenham soon, but leaves us with a beautiful legacy. The article implies she had permission from the council to do this, I wonder if we could have an 'Adopt a Verge' scheme to get this spreading through the town?

Comments

  1. Lovely. It makes me so happy to see little places where people have made an effort to plant pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And me too! They are lovely.

    Did you take the photos out of the car window as you went past? I often want to, when I see roundabouts with nice planting, but R has always gone zooming round and up the road before I have time to get my camera out ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was itching to Juliet, but for once I didn't have my camera with me. Luckily it's a short walk, so I popped out again as soon as I got home :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Indeed - this is one of my passions

      Delete
  4. Fantastic that someone has thought to brighten everyone's day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really so pleased you like the flowers I planted. I now life in Winchester and contribute to art and garden projects for a Winchester Charity (Trinity Winchester, a drop-in service for the homeless). You can see my blog here http://heliana-art.blogspot.co.uk/2017/12/welcome-to-my-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found and liked my post and welcome! They're still blooming well - we have your daffodils at the moment as spring is later this year and I'm looking forward to the tulips. Hope life in Winchester is treating you well, such a lovely city :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project