Seen at the Festival of the Tree

...if you would be happy all your life, plant a garden ~ Chinese proverb

Wednesday, 1 April 2015

GBMD: Happiness

The Courts, Tuesday 24th March 2015, 15:28:22 ~ a fresh view of the garden I'd hadn't noticed before
Now we're at home, NAH and I are busier than ever and it's got to the point where we have to try really hard to make time for each other.

Last Tuesday afternoon was just such a time. What made it remarkable was instead of our usual foray to the local farm shop for a cuppa NAH said:

"Let's go a bit farther, I need to get out somewhere where I can clear my head. How about that garden in Holt? They have a cafe there don't they?"

In over 31 years of marriage, NAH has never initiated a visit to a garden.

And so The Courts conspired to serve up a perfect afternoon, with sunshine and the most wonderful light. The coffee, cake and company was nigh on perfect too.

12 comments:

  1. How lovely. Although my husband will always accompany me to gardens he would never suggest visiting one and certainly not a cafe. I love the picture and poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Margaret :) Perhaps your husband might surprise you too - the situation you've described was the same as mine until last week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful, little things like that can become great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds perfect. And miraculous! I wonder if TNG will ever suggest a garden visit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Janet :)

      Delete
  5. And *this* was my day...spent in happiness. When a phone caller had disagreeable news, I told him, "Well, the 6 year old child in me wants to throw a tantrum but the 60 year old woman says, "I don't want to spend my time unhappy."
    And so it was...a happy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good philosophy :)

      Delete
  6. A most fine piece of musing from Walt Whitman. Himself and NAH had something in common until Tuesday :) NAH's suggestion sounds as if it was the recipe for a perfect afternoon and now that he has broken his duck there might be no stopping him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been something in the air that day Anna :)

      Delete
  7. yes yes and yes! Will have to read back a little for the 'now we are at home' story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something I haven't written about that much Diana. We both 'retired' early 8 years ago as we have an elderly care triangle which covers 300 miles. Since then I've been lucky to start working part-time as a freelance writer, so I work from home. We're much busier than we ever were at work and that includes my daily commute!

      Delete

I love reading your comments and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Help me to help you: If you're having problems leaving comments, contact me using the Contact Form at the foot of this page, or via vegplotting at gmail dot com, or @malvernmeet if a quick tweet is more convenient for you. That way I can get things sorted.

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Sorry - anonymous comments are disabled currently owing to continued problems with spammers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...