It's another first for our choir tonight as we're performing in the Corsham Arts Festival Fringe at 7.30 pm in the Town Hall. We'll be reviving the successful rendition of 'a traditional Welsh folk song', as seen in Stratford earlier this year and currently available above via YouTube in our Wiltshire Wailers incarnation.
Tonight we're the Pound Sound i.e. just those of us who rehearse at the Pound Arts Centre in Corsham. We're flying solo without our Bradford on Avon and Hullavington buddies. Our set tonight is a crowd pleaser* and includes (not necessarily in this order):
- Breaking up is hard to do - how on earth did this song get such a cheerful tune?
- Courage my soul
- Forever young
- Haul away Joe - a fantastic sea shanty with lyrics which make me giggle all the time
- Siyahamba - a South African marching song which is featuring in the World Cup at the moment, whenever the vuvuzelas let it get a look in
- Under the moon of love
- Why do fools fall in love - I get to do lots of shoo wappa doos and bap bapping on this one
- Now let us sing - a gospel song for our finale with the audience singing When the saints go marching in and Swing low sweet chariot at the same time
Chris' male only choir, the AK47s will also be performing and will join us for Haul away Joe, complete with pirate outfits apparently. It should be a lively evening, especially as we'll be going down the pub afterwards ;)
* = so come on down if you can - we're a bargain £3 on the door :)
Update: Here's the review of our performance in the local paper - an 'explosion of musical delight' :D