Seen at The Festival of the Tree

...if you would be happy all your life, plant a garden ~ Chinese proverb

Tuesday, 1 June 2010

Whilst I was at Chelsea...


My Clematis obelisks finally burst into flower in my back garden to welcome me home. Here we have C. 'Souvenir de Capitaine Thuilleaux' and a rather nice sport of C. 'Josephine' (the one with the rather frilly centre), which I don't think is available elsewhere.


And my mystery Clematis finally has a name. Sadly not C. 'VP' as we've joked about previously, but C. 'Diamantina' as launched by the lovely Mr. Evison at Chelsea this year. It's a sport of C. 'Crystal Fountain' which was spotted in his Guernsey nursery in 2002 and has been developed and trialled since then. It looks like I must have obtained an escapee when I bought it from my local garden centre in 2007.

It's a fantastic plant: it'll be in flower prolifically from now until the first frosts and people say wow what's that Clematis? when they come into the garden. I'll be able to tell them from now on.

5 comments:

  1. Glad that the mystery clematis has a name at long last and it certainly suits her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only time I had the chance to chat with the lovely Mr. Evison, he was installing a huge clematis display for Canada Blooms... and the question I asked him was not about clematis (wasn't till I'd asked that I realized who he was). After that gaffe, I was too embarrassed to talk to him further. Silly me.

    You have two very lovely clematiseses, whatever their names be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how lovely & dramatic for an early summer garden. clematis blooms paving the way for the later entrance of dahlias :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anna - in a way I'm sad - I'm going to have to learn to share!

    Helen - I've spoken to him several times - the mystery Clematis question was the first time. He's a true gentleman.

    Hermes - thank you :)

    Petoskystone - now that's quite a coincidence - I was planting Dahlias at the time you left your comment!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

4/4/2014 - Anonymous comment spam came back with a vengeance today, so sadly I've had to halt this facility for a while for the sake of commenters who like to read what the genuine follow-up comments say.

If you're having problems leaving comments, you can contact me using the Contact Form at the foot of this page, or via vegplotting at gmail dot com, or @malvernmeet if a quick tweet is more convenient for you. That way I can get things sorted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...