I've missed my last two choir sessions, so tonight I'll be singing Christmas carols for the first time this year. I particularly look forward to these, because they were the first thing I tackled when I joined up 6 years ago. They also mark my transition from "Bah humbug Christmas always starts too early" to "Awwww, peace and goodwill, everyone" ;)
To help celebrate the season we're embarking on our traditional tour of local hostelries in Corsham and Bradford on Avon (BOA) this week, starting with the Christmas lights switch on in Corsham. Here are the details:
- Friday 6th Dec, 6.20pm singing outside the Town Hall in Corsham
- Sunday 8th Dec, 3pm carols in Dandy Lion BOA
- Monday 9th Dec, 7.30 - 8.30pm in Pound Arts Centre, then to the Flemish Weaver pub for singing, beer & mince pies!
- Sunday 15th Dec, 3pm carols in George BOA
- Monday 16th Dec, 7.30 - 9.30pm singing, mulled cider & mince pies in the Pound Arts Centre (to be pre-ordered).
- Sunday 22nd Dec, 3pm carols in Canal Tavern BOA
If you're in the area, come along and join the fun! Here's our set list - note that the familiar ones won't sound familiar as our choir master loves finding the more obscure versions.
- Hark the Herald Angels Sing
- Malpas Wassail
- While Shepherds Watched *
- Ding Dong Merrily on High
- I Hear Along Our Street (The Dunster Carol)
- Awake & Join the Cheerful Choir (Britford) - a local Wiltshire carol
- We might also do The Holly & The Ivy as a quick warm-up (it's v easy) and Hail Smiling Morn (only two parts and you'll be carried along with it).
* = for those of you familiar with I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue, this is our version of "one song to the tune of another". NB If you take the link and don't want the sound, the off button is in the top right hand corner.