Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project

Michelle in her garden with a trug full of summer produce
Me in my summer garden with a trug full of allotment produce

A few days ago I was contacted by a TV company to see if I'd like to be filmed advising a 'lovely retired couple' on how to grow vegetables. Yes, of course I would. However as our chat went on, it became clear the enthusiastic researcher - and fan of my trug - thought we could show something similar to the above image... in early March.

On Facebook a little later, I joked that perhaps I should recreate the above photo and reveal the reality of my garden right now. Sara was quite taken with the idea, and so after some thought the #mygardenrightnow project was born.

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project
NB I chose the rather apt courgette font for #mygardenrightnow 

Join me on the weekend of 4th/5th March and take a picture of yourself in the garden (or on your allotment, or wherever you usually garden) which shows how it looks at some point over those 2 days. Don't worry if you don't have a nice summery picture to recreate like mine or someone to take the picture for you, selfies or a little bit of you (like the picture above) are fine. I'm interested in seeing everyone's gardening reality at the end of winter.

Be as inventive or imaginative as you like in your response, then post your picture over the weekend with a description of what you were up to. This can be as brief or as long as you wish. Post on your blog if you have one, and/or via social media using Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram.

Do use the #mygardenrightnow hashtag with your post, especially if you share it via Twitter or Instagram, so we can find you easily and come visit. Leave a comment on my #mygardenrightnow post next weekend, or tweet me, or comment on my Facebook Page or on my Instagram account and I'll help promote your posts as best I can. The #gdnbloggers hashtag on Twitter and the Garden Bloggers Facebook Group will act as extra hubs for this bit of fun which aims to bring our blogging community together.

There's been quite a few garden blogger get togethers recently, and it'll be great to get as many people together as possible for this virtual gathering. I'll post about #mygardenrightnow on social media over the next few days, so please RT, Like, Comment and Share as widely as possible.

If you're unclear on anything, please leave a Comment below and I'll get back to you.

See you soon!




Update - some FAQS: Alexandra asked if she can still take part if she's in Australia. Of course she can - a substitute garden for #mygardenrightnow is fine if your circumstances mean you can't be there.

Sue wondered if two photos could be allowed in her response, one of her garden and the other on her allotment. That's fine, though inventive ways of linking the two together in one photo are also welcome (see my photo at the top of the post to see how I did it).

Nicola asked if she could do a video response as she's planning an experiment with the medium at the weekend. I left video out of the options as I was trying to keep the challenge a simple one, but if you want to do a video that's fine.

Sarah enquired if this is a one-off or repeated project. At the moment it's a one-off, but it could easily morph into a regular or ad hoc. Let's see how the weekend goes...

And finally - for all of you who asked - I'll post some reminders closer to the weekend. I hope the appearance of #mygardenrightnow all over the place will also provide an incentive for you to join in :)

Comments

  1. This is a great idea Michelle. I like the angle you are taking, and the fact that it's quite simple to take part. And I've already got an idea for my contribution! Looking forward to seeing what people show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwenfar - simple is good in my book and much easier for everyone to take part. I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

      Delete
  2. What a good idea. I've made a note and will endeavour to do a post. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not having a garden, is an allotment pic ok? It's a lovely idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beryl - yes an allotment pic is fine :) Look forward to seeing you!

      Delete
  4. I'd like to participate, but can you please tweet us a reminder the day before, because I'm bound to forget?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll be inundated with the #mygardenrightnow hashtag Mark! But yes, I'll be posting up reminders as well - it'll be good to see you :)

      Delete
  5. I hate having my photo taken - do we have to be in it? Do we choose between plot and garden or do one of each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, the idea is to have a pic of you in the garden, but it doesn't have to be all of you. That's why it's a picture of my fancy wellies in the project photo. The only time I've been photographed is for that picture at the top of the post. It would be wonderful if you can do both if you have the time, I kept things as simple as possible so that more people could join in. The trug in my photo has produce from the allotment so I could link my garden and allotment together in one shot.

      Delete
    2. Would I need to produce two separate blog posts?

      Delete
    3. No, one is fine :) How long or short you make your post is up to you.

      Delete
  6. An excellent idea VP :) I will try to post over the weekend. I'm with Sue when it comes to photos so it will probably be my feet that feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fine Anna, it'll be lovely to see you :)

      Delete
    2. It will be interesting to see what devious ways people come up with in order to hide their faces!

      Delete
    3. Ha - I used a ginormous dahlia to hide mine once! Sadly that option isn't available at this time of the year ;)

      Delete
  7. I love this idea. I'm in eastern Canada so my photo will include snow...although perhaps most will be going with the rain expected later this week. I shall find something to do outdoors on those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, it'll be great to see you Mary. We're likely to have rain too, so I'm going to have to work out how to keep dry when I sit on the wall to reproduce last summer's photo!

      Delete
  8. I love this idea. Is it going to be a regular thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah - I'm pondering that one. Initially it's a one-off, but who knows? Let's see what the response is like at the weekend...

      Delete
    2. I was wondering this too. If nothing else, it could be a seasonal one? Such a great idea.

      Delete
    3. Yes Gwenfar, I'm thinking seasonal, or possibly a project for Chelsea Fringe if we do it again

      Delete
  9. Joining in at the last minute. Lovely idea. Here's the link to my piece www.http://karengimson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very late to the garden party - but I will enjoy reading the participants in my Feedly as I keep trying to catch a backlog of 200 posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you Diana and thanks for commenting as part of your catching up :) We're doing it all over again on the weekend of June 3/4, it would be lovely to have some photos from South Africa!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide