Last call for winter pruning

Clematis overtopped across the path by the Rambling Rector

We're now enjoying more than 10 hours daylight per day here in the south-west which combined with this week's warmer weather has brought the trees close to bud burst... or in the case of the elderberries full-blown leafage.

I've taken advantage of the sunny days to finish off my winter pruning this week. I reckon in another day or two it'll be too late, so if you have pruning tasks left to do, I'd get diddling this weekend! This is an example of nature showing you the way rather than the text books telling you when it should be done. I'll also leave one area of the garden well alone as I've seen birds flying in with nesting material.

The Rambling Rector has - once again - been tamed. As you can see, it rampaged everywhere last summer and whilst the results were spectacular, I know the trees on the public land next door are relieved I've disentangled them from the Rector's thorny embrace.

'Red Windsor' apple tree with moss

I've also pruned the apples* to help them form their next set of fruiting wood. It's one of my favourite winter tasks but I'm a bit concerned about the pictured 'Red Windsor' as clumps of moss have appeared on the trunk and some of the branches. My tree cropped well last year, but the moss could be a sign it's losing its vigour. It could also be because it's sited in the dampest, calmest part of the garden, or a combination of the two. It's now surrounded by hordes of ivy which crept in over the fence whilst I wasn't looking last year. That might provide just a tad too much competition going forward.

Next I'm going to give the ground a thorough weed, then apply some lovely well-rotted horse manure for a good feed. That extra tlc should ensure my tree feels tippity top again.

Apart from pruning, what are your must-do tasks this weekend?




* = This is a great guide from the Teddington Gardener on all aspects of winter pruning apples and pears. I'm currently paying close attention the renovation section as I need to correct the trees' tendency to lean into the garden.

Comments

  1. Well done. I've got no must-do tasks on the plot this weekend but I'm sure I'll find something to do. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you will Flighty - have a good potter xx

      Delete
  2. It's amazing how you turn your back on the garden for a moment, then it takes weeks and months to catch up. I have taken two careful slices off our front hedge. Another one or two to go. Left some nasty bald patches, but it's greening over steadily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of catching up to do as I was so ill last year. I've told my husband that things will probably look a lot worse this year before they get better. It's a matter of going back to the basics like cutting back (or out), weeding then feeding the soil before I plant up again.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the timely reminder VP. A rose has escaped my clutches - I'll get out there tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping it would be a timely reminder for those like you who are further north :) What amazing weather we're having!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Merry Christmas!

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project