End of Year Surprises and Treats


Gardeners' World hits the magazine stands today, so a big welcome to those of you who've hopped over here from page 22 to have a look at what Veg Plotting's all about. It was a lovely surprise to be mentioned amongst the great and the good of the garden blogging world :) My Open Garden blog will give you a general introduction to my 'normal garden and allotment' - click on the picture in the sidebar if you'd like to go there. Or do have a look at some of the key articles listed in my New Reader section on the right to help get you orientated here. In particular Where am I Veg Plotting? is a general introduction to Chippenham and Why do I Garden? is a quick summary of what motivates me. The 2008 review shows you some of my gardening highs and lows with links to the posts I wrote about them at the time. One note of caution - 2008's allotment plan turned out to be a complete work of fiction as usual: I'll be posting 2009's very soon ;) Otherwise, do dive in right here for all those hints and surprises you've been promised!

January's Gardens Illustrated magazine has Dan Pearson as guest editor. He's come up with the gardening equivalent of an enormous box of chocolates to devour in front of a crackling fire. There's a sneak overview of his own garden, due out in book form next year, plus a selection of his must-have plants and nurseries to supply them. We also get an insight into some of Pearson's key influences - his landscape sized project in Japan is fascinating, especially the subtle changes made to shape and form to entice visitors to explore. The work of landscape architect Teresa Moller is also featured, which I suspect (and hope) will generate some debate on the value of showing pure hardscaping amongst natural landforms in a gardening magazine. There's also an article on prairie planting, turned on its head by highlighting a conservation scheme in Illinois instead of the usual 'get the look' feature. It's the first time Gardens Illustrated has had a guest editor and I for one, am looking forward to the next after this edition's treat.

This post was going to be my final end of year review today, but I see that The Garden Monkey has pretty well summed up my own take on blogging already. The only thing I'd like to add is a big thank you to everyone who's visited this year, especially to those of you who've left a comment or decided to Follow this blog. Here's hoping for a great 2009 for all of us, especially in the garden.

Comments

  1. Great site - I've only just found you but will be rummaging around the archive and hope things continue as well for 2009 - happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a nice way to end the year--with a lovely write-up! will try to find these mags stateside :) can't wait to read your gardenplan'09.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got my GW last week as I still subscribe - I meant to email you to let you know you hd made an appearance but Chistmas kinda of overtook things! Well done - obviously you are one of JAS's favoured ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, yes, I saw you in GW too but like Patientgardener, things got kinda overtook.
    I thought Gardens Illustrated was brilliant this month, didn't you? I really, really enjoyed it. I'm off to read about your New Life resolutions now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh VP - a mention in 'Gardeners World' - well done you ! I no longer regularly buy it but will have to make an exception this month so I can have a gander. My sister kindly got me a ' Gardens Illustrated' subscription for Christmas, but it does not start until the February issue, so I hope to pick up the January issue when I go out tomorrow. It sounds as if it will be an engrossing read.

    It's been a pleasure visiting your blog in 2008 and I look forward to spending time in your company in 2009.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I will have to buy both GW and Gardens Illustrated to see you mentioned (nice one!) also I love Dan Pearson.

    Hope you had a good Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you had a good Christmas, and I wish you a great 2009! I'll have to let the librarians know to alert me when the January edition of the magazine finally arrives at our library.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, VP, on your much-deserved recognition! I love gardening magazines, but I don't get either of these. I'll have to see if I can find both of these here in the States. Not only do I want to read what's being mentioned about you, but now I'm intrigued by the Illinois prairie article.

    It's been a pleasure getting to know you through your blog, VP, and I've learned so much from you. Getting into blogging has been one of the highlights of 2008 for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got GW last week too, but haven't read it yet, so I hadn't noticed you got a mention! Well done to you for having such an interesting blog - & to J A-S for recognising this :-D

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a well deserved mention in the Gardeners' World magazine.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi VP, this was exciting to me as a brand new subscriber to Gardens Illustrated, I have yet to receive my first issue and hope this one is it! Congrats on the mention in the other print publication too, all good. I look forward to your allotment plans and will get inspiration from it for my own veggie patch, it needs major planning. It has been a pleasure getting to know you this year and learning about how your garden across the pond!

    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  12. My favorite gardening magazines are from the UK. You see I'm an English Cottage Garden -- wanna be! :-)

    Happy New Year!
    Cheers,
    Cameron

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to you and what a treat and honor. You have sure worked hard and been a delight to read. I wish the very best 2009 and many more trips to the magazine stands for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello everyone - thanks for your kind comments and good wishes :) Here's to a good year for us all both as bloggers and gardeners!

    Catalan Gardener - welcome! I hope you like it here :)

    ReplyDelete

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project