OOTS: Green Places Magazine


Some of you may know I've started to review books for Green Places magazine and my latest effort (pictured left, click to enlarge if needed) was published yesterday. As you can see, the books I get to review are quite different to usual as they're aimed at professionals working in the landscape and horticulture industry. Even so, I've found them to be an enjoyable, sometimes challenging, always informative read so far.

You may not know of this magazine. It's produced by the charity Green Space and the magazine's mission is to:

...raise awareness of environmental, social, cultural and economic factors in the creation, management and use of public space. It aims to stimulate debate, promote best practice and create a forum for the exchange of information between all those with an interest in public space.

If that sounds too dry for you, then you might like to consider this month's contents. Did you know there's a project to build a mountain in Holland? There's a look at how the Jubilee Gardens on London's South Bank will be transformed in time for both the Queen's Diamond Jubilee and The Olympics next year; how Scotland's open spaces have been mapped; the transformation of a pit site in Nottinghamshire and the proposal for a new square in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter (where my mum was born); plus trips to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Brighton.

There's also lots about community projects, trees - including apples and orchards, a look at RIBA's electricity pylon design competition and the breathtaking images from the Astronomy Photographer of the Year. An interview with Andy Sturgeon rounds it all off, where he reveals a very surprising favourite place.

If you're looking for something a bit different and more informative from your magazine reading, which also supports a worthwhile cause, then I recommend you consider Green Places.BTW I'm not paid for my reviews: it's my way - as is this post - of positively supporting what Green Space does.

Update 2013: Sadly this magazine is no longer in print and the charity ceased trading in March - one of the victims of austerity and falling membership.

Comments

  1. Interesting, I've never heard of this magazine. I've bookmarked to have a proper look later - thanks for the link :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mo and Steve - it's a couple of issues behind, but well worth a look :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to see if this college is supplied in the college library! It looks like an interesting read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. IDG - they've offered me a few copies. I can send you one if I do get some - could be a way of persuading the library if they don't have it already. If they have the SGD mag, then they really should have this one too

    ReplyDelete

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project