How did I get here?
In March 1984 my husband (NAH) and I married and moved to south-west England from Newcastle. We'd been aiming for Dorset (where NAH's father came from), but fell a little short of the mark.
Instead we found ourselves in Corsham, then Chippenham from 2008 onwards. I felt Chippenham wasn't our real home and alternated between hankering after a life in Dorset and feeling homesick for the north-east, even though Birmingham is where I was born.
In 2007 distance carer responsibilities began to hit hard and we considered moving closer to our relatives, but in the end decided Chippenham is really home after all.
What's Chippenham like?
In the first half of 2011 I wrote a series of articles under the ABC Wednesday banner and they've helped me to at last take pride in where I live. As Chippenham is one of the central themes to this blog, it makes sense for it to have its own dedicated page.
Here are some external links - they open in a new window - you may find useful, particularly if you're thinking of visiting:
- Chippenham webcam (sadly not there at the moment, so see my post about it which shows what must have been one of the last webcam shots)
- Map of Chippenham
- Wiltshire's News
- Chippenham Tourist Information Guide
- Chippenham Town Council
- Chippenham Civic Society
My ABC of Chippenham
- A - Avon
- B - Buttercross
- C - Churches
- D - Donkey Field
- E - Eddie Cochrane
- F - Foghamshire
- G - Goldiggers
- H - History Centre
- I - Isambard Kingdom Brunel
- J - John Coles
- K - King Alfred
- L - Locally Sourced
- M - Maud Heath's Causeway
- N - Nestle
- O - Olympiad
- P - Poll
- Q - Quaint
- R - Rowden
- S - Steeleye Span
- T - Tourism
- U - Unity and Loyalty
- V - Viaduct
- W - Westinghouse
- X - X-Ray
- Y - Yelde Hall
- Z - Zumba
|A Chippenham gem, now gone|
Other Key Posts you might like:
- Bradshaw's Chippenham - what was said in this 1866 travel guide
- Chippenham's Banksy - graffiti art
- Chippenham's Double Whammy Chestnuts
- Chippenham's Reel Deal - changes to the local cinema
- Chippenham's Royal Wedding
- Jingle Bells - one of the town's main events: the Folk Festival
- Local Shops for Local People - local suppliers I like
- The Blurb About Chippenham - converting my blogposts into a book: listed on Blurb as ABC of Chippenham
- The Day of the Torch - when the 2012 Olympic Torch relay hit town
|Every garden centre should have one|
I also write quite a bit about Wiltshire, the county in which Chippenham resides and you can find these under the Wiltshire label.
Chippenham also features on my photography blog, Sign of the Times.