This is for Lucy

'Windsor Red' apple blossom buds in my garden

There's hardly a day that goes by when I marvel at the strangeness of blogging and social media. It's attracted a lot of attention recently for its downsides, but today I'd like to celebrate its positive side.

When I tentatively set foot online with my blog in 2007, I never thought it would give me all kinds of opportunities; best of all are all the new friends I've made here in the UK and all over the world, all connected by a love of nature and gardening.

One of the earliest of these was Lucy, who has a wonderfully different way of looking at the world and generously shares it via her blogs and photos. I had the good fortune to visit her and her family a couple of times when they lived in Weymouth, but now they are much further away in Halifax.

Those of you who read or create Tree Following posts may not know that it was Lucy who created this meme, which has helped many of us slow down and view one object over time and in finer detail; something she does well in all her blogs and photos.

I've just seen the news that Lucy's recent treatment for acute myeloid leukaemia hasn't been successful and she's now waiting and hoping for a stem cell transplant. My gut instinct for sad news is to try and find something practical to do, just like my WI friends did when I broke my wrist last year.

However, It's more tricky to do that when your friend mainly resides in the virtual world...

... so you'll find the apple buds of hope I sent to her via Twitter at the top of this post, together with a link to the Anthony Nolan Trust's stem cell donation page. I'd be tickled pink if the help Lucy needs comes from one of her blogging friends.

Comments

  1. A lovely heartfelt post, and one that I totally empathise with. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know someone who is going through this exact same thing at the moment and have had the stem cell treatment. early days but fingers crossed. It sounds dreadful and no good outcome when you hear about it but its amazing what the results can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed the good news continues Maurice

      Delete
  3. I also know someone who had successful treatment.
    Hoping for Lucy's good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear of another positive cancer story, thank you Diana :)

      Delete
  4. You have said it so much better than I could VP with your idea of and image of apple buds of hope for Lucy who will I'm sure be in many people's thoughts xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna - it came from the heart which is what counts x

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project