My Garden & Allotment
|Welcome to my garden and my essential tools for getting things done.|
What's it like at VP Gardens?
Both my garden and (now ex) allotment are on a limestone clay soil on the northern edge of Chippenham and my allotment is about a mile away as the crow flies from home.
They're possibly in the equivalent of Zone 8a, though my results are nothing like their American zonal equivalent. I explained why that might be here.
My Open Garden blog - used to raise £1,085 for WaterAid in 2008 - is a tour which will give you a very good idea of what my garden and allotment were like at that time.
Also in 2008, I took photos of both my plots every fortnight, so you can see how they change over the seasons by having a look here.
Some key insights
I've written some key posts about my gardening, mainly in response to questions asked by my fellow bloggers.
- Why do I garden? looks at the basics, though I forgot to say how important experimentation is to my gardening
- I've also pondered my Signature Plants, my Plant of the Centenary, plus whether my garden needs a Mission Statement
- I've had two goes at putting together my list of Desert Island Plants - here and here.
- My First Plant describes the first plant I chose to grow, which also sowed the seeds for this very blog.
Looking for something in particular?
Use the Search facility at the top the page; it's like a Google search, but confined within my blog.
Other views of my garden or allotment
- Karen @ Artist's Garden - October 2010
- Bren interviewed me via video in 2017 about the #mygardenrightnow project