The Plot Thickens

As yesterday was possibly the only good day this week, I spent quite a bit of time up at the plot harvesting the various crops which are ready to be gathered in. I was feeling a bit maudlin about giving up half of the plot, when I heard distinct voices coming towards me.

I looked up and sure enough, the couple I saw had the appearance of people having a look around as prospective new tenants. I wanted to dive away and hide, but smiled and said hello. They were unsure of just what constitutes plot 14, so I showed them around.

It turns out they're the owners of The Priory, a care home in Chippenham and have already agreed to whichever half I'm giving up so that they, the care home staff and residents can take on the plot as their project. The member of staff in charge of this is a Ghurka army wife who intends to run this along the lines of how it would be done in her village in Nepal.

I'm absolutely thrilled at this outcome as it fits in so well with what I've been saying about the need for gardening in care homes. This has worked out so much better than I dared hope and I'm looking forward to meeting all my new neighbours :)

Comments

  1. Well that's a happy ending for your plot dilemma. It will be interesting to see what is grown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pencilsandpaint - it's wonderful! Like it was meant to happen or something :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh!! That is lovely. I hope they enjoy their gardening, though am sure they will. Sorry you lost part of your plot, but it couldn't have gone to a more deserved cause!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah what a lovely result. Good luck choosing which half to give up, but great news that it will be well looked after, and you will have good neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely :) I look forward to some photos of what they grow next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sound like the perfect neighbors to have next to your garden. The kind who will keep up with it and make good use of all the produce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news - now I still have a water-butt going spare. If you don't want it could I just drop it your allotments for someone to salvage. I also have about twenty very long bamboo canes - from Colby Gardens no less. Know anyone who want them? Send me an email if you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sound like there is a possibility of some interesting 'crop swaps' for tasting over the coming months. Could make NAH's curry's even more interesting!! (just read your comment on Karen's blog)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh - Synchronicity, love it.

    I am so pleased for you VP - although sad to give up part of your plot - your new neighbours sound ideal for you.
    K
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. great result - it should be very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's what I call a result - almost as if destined - not a sacrifice now but a gift - sure you feel happier now - great news

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi everyone - thanks for your thoughts on this great news. You've put my feelings about it into words much better than I could have done :)

    Mark - I'll ask my new neighbours if they'd like your water butt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How totally fitting, so right it is slightly creepy. Great news, they couldn't hope to have a better plot neighbour either. Look forward to you posting about what a Nepalese allotment looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am always on the lookout for a chance to use the word Serendipitous.

    Thank you for the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Janet - watch this space!

    James - it's a great word, which I also like to use :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project