GBBD: Salvia 'Hadspen'


Salvia involucrata 'Hadspen' is a new plant at VP Gardens. Karen gave it to me last year after we'd admired it on a trip to Bodnant when I went to stay with her. I rather like this early morning shot as you can see the autumnal orb spiders are starting to capture it for their webby schemes.

I've planted it in the top terrace bed, where it nods to my Salvia 'Amistad' across the way. Both are tall specimens (S. 'Amistad' is as tall as me this year) so they need plenty of space. S. 'Hadspen' has decided to splay out a little and its flowers make me giggle. They're such a girly pink - not like me at all - and they make me think of a row of bright lipsticks lined up along the stem.


Here's a closer shot of some of the flowers along one of the plant's bracts- see what I mean? And what about those ticklesome little 'brushes'? I need to find out more about the unusual staminal lever mechanism adaptation* salvias have for their pollination.

This salvia hails from Mexico and the leaves are very aromatic Thank goodness they're in the more acceptable blackcurrant-like bracket than the unpleasant cat-pee one some salvias have. It's a tender perennial - hence my placing it in the well-drained and protective walled part of my garden. This is another plant which will be given a Dahlia Duvet after autumn's first frost.

I'm delighted with this plant in its first year here. It's a reminder of good friends and happy times as well as being attractive in its own right.

* = Wikipedia's general introduction to Salvias, plus this scientific paper are a good start if you'd like to join me on this quest. There's an impressive lineup of papers to peruse after googling too.

Garden Bloggers' Blooms Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Comments

  1. I love this plant! Unfortunately, it isn't hardy here at all, or I would be sure to plant it. I have a 'Wendy's Wish,' which is a hybrid salvia with a similar color, but the blooms of this 'Hadspen' look fuller than Wendy. I plant mine, knowing it's an annual, but it's worth it because the hummingbirds love Wendy! I'm sure they would go crazy over 'Hadspen,' too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose - 'Wendy's wish' looks a lot like Salvia 'Amistad' and would look great in my garden. I'm so envious of you having hummingbirds in your garden - these flowers are adapted perfectly for them. Have you seen John Whittlesey's book on Salvias? 'Wendy's wish' is listed in there. It's a great book - my copy was in my goody bag from Timber Press at the Fling, lucky me :)

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous new addition! I've acquired 'Amistad' this year after reading so much about it. It's every bit as beguiling in the flesh as it seemed in photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice Anna! I was one of the people you probably read as it was my GBBD plant this time last year. I've just visited Thredspider's new home in Herefordshire and found she's planted it in her new garden too :)

      Delete
  3. Looking good VP ... Looking good. I have to say mine gives me so much joy at this time of year
    K
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I should tell you that I did get Amistad too, earlier this year 3 of them in fact! :)
    K
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen - it's giving me so much joy, thank you. I hope 'Amistad' will do for you too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project