Garden Bloggers' Blooms Day: Rethinking the plot

Daffodils and lesser celandine at Allington near Chippenham

Writing a post for Blooms Day after an absence of several months is a sure sign that things are beginning to get back to normal, at last.

However, I decided to start this post with a photo from outside VP Gardens. It's hard to resist the first sunny bloom-filled scene of the year from yesterday's walk with friends, especially when we found a host of golden daffodils in nearby Allington, with more yellow springtime goodness* sprinkled beneath a willow tree just beginning to sprout its cloak of green.

Talia daffodils brightening up VP Gardens

Like most of you reading this, spring has come late here this year. The farmers are saying they're a month behind with their work because it's been so cold and wet. I must be one of the few people taking comfort from that because of my enforced 'holiday' from gardening. It was good to get out in the sunshine at last - not just for yesterday's walk - but also to see and smell my favourite 'Thalia' daffodils in bloom.

To be honest I've spent the past few weeks in a state of conflict. I'm months behind in both the garden and allotment, with no hope of catching up under my own steam. The gift of a wonderful handwritten letter from Susan a few days ago finally helped me think through my problem. Like her I still need to rest and take my return to gardening slowly. Like her I need help. Like her I'm going to swallow my pride as a gardener and get someone in.

I confessed my thoughts to NAH on the way up to Birmingham on Thursday. It was so loud, you must have heard his audible sigh of relief!

Tomato 'Sugar Plum Raisin' in flower on my bedroom windowsill

All that remains for today is to finish rethinking my plot into 'my tasks' and 'the gardener's tasks' and also work out how to keep my flowering tomato plant** alive on our bedroom windowsill until I can plant it outside in late May. This is 'Sugar Plum Raisin' which I'm trialling courtesy of Dobies and the Garden Press Event.

* = though I know many of you regard the lesser celandine in far worse terms than that.

** = it started to bloom on April 1st. No kidding. It's the earliest I've ever had a tomato in flower.

Garden Bloggers' Blooms Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Comments

  1. A tomato plant blooming! I do hope it has a wonderful future in your garden!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a new to me variety Lea 😊

      Delete
  2. Honey, I get help sometimes. I can't do it otherwise. I'm glad you're feeling on the mend. You might even enjoy working with someone. I do when I get help. Happy Bloom Day. See you soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So looking forward to seeing you in Austin Dee 😊xxx

      Delete
  3. I enjoy reading Pam @ Digging in Austin Texas.
    She loves her garden and does a lot herself.
    But doesn't hesitate to call in landscapers to sort that smartly, so she can carry on with what she enjoys. A sensible way to do it that I admire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing you mentioned Pam and I'll be there in a few days time, I can't wait!

      Delete
  4. I can't imagine a tomato bloom by April 1st! By this time of the year I am craving a really good red, ripe tomato fresh from the garden. All that is available are the cardboard tasting ones at the grocery. I must continue to wait and dream.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't either until it happened Jeannie!

      Delete
  5. Yes, it makes sense to plan the important tasks to do and leave the rest. Love the tomato plant in flower. My overwintered cuttings have been blooming away too 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully my tapping the flowers means there'll be fruit later Hugo 😊

      Delete
  6. Help is always good, whether watering, gardening, or weeding. We haven’t had to use much aside of watering, so far, but in our previous garden, I longed for a helper, as my companion gardener was absent focusing on book projects, and I had hand issues, as well as really couldn’t do pruning with a hand saw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a companion gardener Lisa. See you soon?

      Delete
  7. We all need help in the garden at times, and you certainly have a good reason for needing some this year. My grandkids have been invaluable at spreading mulch and doing some of the "heavy lifting" that I find harder and harder to do by myself. Love seeing those masses of daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they wonderful Rose? Just what we needed after a dull spring so far. This week's made up for it though!

      Delete
  8. Hi There! I just wanted to pop by to let you know that Matron is back on the plot! Last week I moved house and I have a beautiful garden in the New Forest which is about to be filled with fruit and veg. xxx Matron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matron - are you close to The Pig? That was such a wonderful day!

      Delete
    2. Yes I am! Only 10 minutes away I now live in Sway. I've been thinking of going back for some of those wonderful piggy bits!

      Delete
    3. We had a holiday on the south coast last November, we went through Sway quite a lot. A lovely spot for your new home 😊

      Delete
  9. Now those are seriously early tomato flowers! I think that you have made a wise decision in getting some help catching up. No doubt not an easy one but most wise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project