Unusual Front Gardens #2: Moreton-in-Marsh

Whenever NAH and I travel up north to visit relatives, we always go up the Fosse Way, an ancient road dating back to Roman times. Sometimes it's arrow straight and with some rather alarming dips - helpfully signed High Risk Crash Area THINK! and BIKE! from time to time - which passes through fine, mellow Cotswold villages like Stow-on-the-Wold and Moreton-in-Marsh.

A couple of years ago, I spotted the pictured garden in Moreton-in-Marsh and it's this very one which inspired me to start my Unusual Front Gardens strand. We usually don't have time on our way up north, so I was pleased to take this picture on Tuesday when I stopped for a break after my fantastic day out with Maggi. As you can see it's a typical front garden, but elevated to the unusual because the owner has decided to use rather a lot of hub caps in the design. I was rather hoping he or she would come out for a chat whilst I was taking the photo, but it wasn't to be. Later on, I saw a hub cap lying in the road as I went through Stow-on-the-Wold: I seriously thought about stopping the car to pick it up and taking it back to Moreton-in-Marsh as a present ;)

Many thanks to those of you who left comments on my first post in this new strand, telling me about some local gardens which may fit the bill. I'll be popping out to have a look at them soon. I'm also indebted to Mark over at Views From the Bike Shed, who's sent me some great examples from his travels in Wales. They'll be featured shortly :)

Comments

  1. hmmm... really unusual garden. The owner is probably a car fan.
    Fun. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ewa - perhaps I've found Top Gear meets Gardeners' World? Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. VP - just wanted to say huge congrats on your listing on the Interflora top 50 blogs - well deserved! (http://blog.interflora.co.uk/top-50-flower-blogs/)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn - thank you, but I'm not so sure the list is what it's cracked up to be :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. How amazing - they'd look good flat on the ground too with little plants growing through the holes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet gardens. I remember traveling from Lancashire to Romsey as a child through this area and getting very excited about thes e villages and houses probably encouraged bu my parents but I suspect that started my love for all things cottage like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a garden near here with loos as pots.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phoenix C - that's a good idea! A bit like those herb wheels you can get :)

    Joanne - it's a lovely area of the country. Whilst the Fosse Way's an irritating road to drive along, I love the places it takes me to.

    3C - show me, show me! There used to be such a garden round the corner from me, but they've moved and someone with taste has moved in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now there's no temptation for me to say that's a lovely garden VP :) It's certainly different. We spotted a jaw dropper on the A386 road out of Tavistock earlier this month - a garden with an Old Mother Hubbard influence. The house seemed to have an extension in the shape of boot. Must return to take a photo one day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna - sounds good. I hope you get that photo or perhaps I can persuade NAH we need a weekend in Devon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now I know where to go when we need some new alloys. I particularly like the trough/piece of guttering on the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Martyn - I'd say it's a design classic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The garden decoration makes me think there must be some nasty pothole somewhere nearby, and reminds me of the night I went hubcap hunting in Lincoln Park. Thanks for sharing this. I live in too upscale an area for interesting front gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  14. MMD - I don't think there is, but you never know. Perhaps the garden owner could set up in business?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project