YAWA: Your Events Diary for August


August is the time for events, travelling and holidays, so the You Ask, We Answer team have had some difficulty in editing this month's choices into a bitesize chunk for your delectation. Therefore, I'm not doing my usual preliminary preamble about the month, but handing over to them straight away...

1-31st: Pershore Plum Festival. A month long celebration from the heart of Worcestershire's plum country, culminating in the Pershore Plum Fayre on Bank Holiday Monday.

4th: Egton Bridge Gooseberry Show. Dating from 1800, this is the country's oldest gooseberry contest, where the heaviest takes the prize!

7th: Don't forget to take your entry for my 12:34:56 on 7/8/9 meme and to let me know how you got on

8th: Chilli Fiesta, West Dean Gardens, Chichester. West Dean have a number of good events throughout the year, but with over 200 different chillis grown there, this one's their hottest ticket by far

10-16th: National Allotments Week. Lots of sites will be opening their gates for you to find out what allotment life is all about. You can find further information here and it looks like Carrie's allotment site is participating this year.

20-23rd - Southport Flower Show. One of the largest non-RHS events and celebrating its 80th birthday this year.

24-31st: Festival of the Tree, Westonbirt Arboretum. A fantastic event celebrating all things arboreal, which I wrote about last year.

28-30th: Open Days at Jekka's Herb Farm, nr. Alveston. As well as more Chelsea gold medals and herbs than you can shake a stick at, Jekka McVicar's introduced a couple of workshops into the mix to replace her usual talks. Choose from How to Divide and Maintain Herbs at 10-10.45 am, or Herbs for the Winter Season at 2.30-3.15 pm. I've been to these days a couple of times and they're well worth it. Last year's August event was very special as I got to meet Jekka herself and EmmaT, who blogged all about it and set off a trend for photographing my shoes.

29th: Amateur and Children's Produce Show - Whitehall Garden Centre, Lacock. Last year's event was my first ever attempt at exhibiting at a produce show and was a lot of fun.

30th: Rare Plants Fair - Lady Farm, Chelwood, nr. Bath.

BTW the picture's of a rather nice wall in a cafe garden I was introduced to by Esther whilst out and about in Dorset. More about my visit later :)

The team's bound to have left something out for this month, so do add them into the comments below.

Comments

  1. a lot of really neat shows going on. Wish i could attend them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the fascinating links, VP. I'm looking forward to eating my Pershore yellow egg plums in a week or two - my grandfather had a tree, and now I have a small one in the front garden. I think they're supposed ot be culinary, but the taste takes me right back to childhood. I'll have to see if I can get to the Pershore plum festival when I'm visiting my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wall!

    I've never been to Westonbirt Arboretum - would love to. My favourite is Thorp Perrow Arboretum near Bedale in North Yorkshire - absolute bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  4. flowgirl1 - I'm sure there must be something close to you as well? It would be good to hear what's going on in your neck of the woods!

    HM - I hope you do get there and can tell us all about it :)

    Phoenix C - Westonbirt is fab and I'm so lucky to live so close to it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project