GBMD: I Love Compost

I love compost quote by Octave Mirbeau and mulched beds in progress at West Green House
Mulching in progress at West Green House - early February 2016
I found this surprising (and welcome) quote at the Royal Academy's Painting the Modern Garden exhibition recently.

Octave Mirbeau was an anarchist writer* and seemingly enthusiastic about all things gardening if this quote from his one of his letters is anything to go by.** He considered his garden in the River Seine valley as an unspoiled utopia, and corresponded with Monet, Caillebotte and Pissarro.

* = described as such at the exhibition.

** = I don't know if there was any reaction to this comment from any woman who knew Mirbeau. Whilst I love gardening and compost, NAH knows better than to compare me to anything I spread on our garden. However, a former boyfriend once said, "I don't care if you looked like a washing machine, I'd still love you". Hmm.

Update: purely by coincidence, Flighty has posted about his compost bin. Like him and the gardeners at West Green House, I must get cracking and spread the good stuff from mine...

Comments

  1. I had to laugh at this quote, but don't think I'd ever dare say it. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me smile too Flighty. I also had this scheduled before your post on your compost bins went up and knowing this was coming along, made me smile too. I must add a link to your post :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the mention and link, it's much appreciated. Flighty xx

      Delete
  2. I love compost too, an looking forward to my new space arriving so that I can sort through my bins and spread the black gold on my veg beds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project