Garden Bloggers' Blooms Day: Persicaria 'Fat Domino'


This plant always makes me smile at this time of the year: it's a reminder of a wonderful afternoon at Knoll Gardens in the company of owner Neil Lucas's enthusiasm a few years ago. He had many Persicaria to show us that day, and it was 'Fat Domino' that stole my heart with its large flower heads waving to me from the nursery area.


It's proved to be an easy care perennial since I placed it in the lower terrace bed; it only needs cutting down at the end of winter and then given a topping of mulch to see it through the year. It's rewarded me with over 60 flower heads from one plant, and when I peered below the leaves yesterday, it looks like I have a plant ripe for division into two. This is earmarked for behind the white phlox you can see in the background as there's a hidden gap there which needs to be filled.

I've also cleared a space in front of the phlox, which is thick with alliums in spring, but now needs something added there for later interest. I've been pondering this space for a while and luckily a wonderful visit to Ulting Wick last week supplied some much needed inspiration.


My photo doesn't do justice to Philippa Burrough's deft combination of Persicaria with Miscanthus sinensis 'Ferner Osten', but it's sufficient as a visual reminder to have something similar here at VP Gardens. Her Miscanthus is too tall for the place earmarked as it'll go in front of my Persicaria. A quick search of Knoll's website shows several other possibilities at around one metre in height, with similar pinky blooms which look perfect.

It's just a matter of deciding which one.

Garden Bloggers' Blooms Day is hosted by Carol at May Dreams Gardens.

Comments

  1. Fat Domino! What a great name for a very interesting plant
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all persicarias. Look fab in the borders, and in jam jar flower posies. Hope you are well. Sending a hug. Love karen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, that's a great tip re the jam jar posies. I have so many blooms, I'm sure I have some to spare for mum :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Hi via Plant Mad Nige's blog...I miss his writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh so do I gz. Thanks for popping over from his blog :)

      Delete
  4. I love the persicarias and this one is lovely. I see them much more across the pond than here in the states. Working on changing that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it Layanee. I'm a late comer to their charms. Neil Lucas's garden and nursery is worth putting on your list for a visit if the Dorset area is on your itinerary for a future UK garden tour.

      Delete
  5. Sixty blooms on one plant! I have never even thought of counting them, such a simple idea. This is something new I must try.

    Jeannie @ GetMeToTheCountry.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie, I only counted them because there were so many! It's in contrast to earlier in the year when I thought my plant was struggling.

      Delete
  6. What a beauty! It's been on my wish list for some time. Have fun choosing a companion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to remember you liked this plant the last time I posted about it Anna. I hope it transfers itself from your wish list into the garden soon :)

      Delete
  7. Hey sweet Michelle and Happy Bloom Day! I love that combo. Good reminder for next year.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee, it would look fab in your garden if the plants like your zone 😊

      Delete
  8. That's a beautiful Persicaria! Persicaria is one plant I don't have and yet one I've admired in other people's gardens. Remember Scott's garden in Portland? I was so inspired by that garden and wrote down the name of one of his Persicaria. Now I just need to write myself a reminder for next year so I can remember to finally plant one next spring:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Scott's garden Rose. He posts wonderful photos of it on Fb 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project