Seen at The Festival of the Tree

...if you would be happy all your life, plant a garden - Chinese proverb

Wednesday, 31 August 2011

The Easy Recipe Finder


Judging by my site statistics, recipes form the most popular part of my blog* though taking notice of search engine results needs to be taken with a hefty pinch of salt**. However I've had several comments from people this week thanking me for a recipe which they've used successfully themselves :)

I'm also aware my recipe label in the sidebar isn't the best way of finding things, nor is asking you to use the search facility at the top of the blog so I've put together this summary post, for you to easily see what's on offer in the simple, seasonal recipe line both on Veg Plotting and my Open Garden blog***.

Soups

Allotment (also a generic Glutbuster as are most of these recipes)
Garlic Mushroom
Last of the Summer - a Glutbuster way to use up lots of salad leaves and cucumber
Mangetout (a guest post on The Guardian Gardening blog)

Salads

Make Mine Mint - lots of ideas for using this herb in salads
Primrose Salad
Roasted Squash and Rocket Salad
Sprouted Lentil and Pea Shoot Salad - a warming winter version, plus a summery variation

Glutbuster
(Mainly easy suppers and courgette/squash ideas)

Roasted Tomato Sauce
Universal Pesto

I also have a post dedicated to ideas for using lots of cucumbers - both hot and cold dishes 

Puds and Tea Time Treats

Chocolate Cake (with an amazing mystery ingredient!)
Chocolate Spice Cookies (a Christmassy option from Encounters With Remarkable Biscuits)
Quince Tart (a major adaptation with link to original recipe)
Scones (aka 'biscuit' across the pond and not to be confused with our biscuits!)

Jams and Preserves

Nasturtium 'Capers' (NB only use the small seeds - see comments)

Drinks


Other
Gooseberry sauce - a good accompaniment to oily fish, such as mackerel
Mushy peas - lots of information about them, plus instructions to make your own and a link to a video showing how they're made chip shop style
Raspberry vinegar - great for salad dressings, ice cream, drinking and coughs

* Rhubarb and ginger jam is my most read post ever and is still in my daily top 10
** = I don't think this usually means the page is actually read by someone, mostly a computer
*** = when I find out how to do drop down menus off a Blogger template, I'd like to put together more content summary pages like this one.

Update: I've put a link to this under Popular Posts in the right sidebar so you can easily find it again. 5 recipes are in my current top 10 posts, so I think replacing the Rhubarb and Ginger Jam link is justified ;)

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for listing those, VP

    Boy, am I going to be busy going through them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes it so easy to find what we are looking for! Thank you!!
    Great recipes and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great index.
    I've always argued cooking and gardening go together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will give some of these a try--particularly the soups, as they are favorite winter meals for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S., According to my site stats, the favorite blog posts on my website are the ones dealing with cutting and installing corrugated sheet metal. Several hits a day. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi VP - can you tell me if you can freeze the courgette & brie soup? It sounds like a great recipe to use up some darned marrows, but never sure about freezing dairy. Just wondered if you have ever frozen it? cheers, Julieanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Stacounter the links are human - sometimes I can see a visitor from ... read ... and left a comment to prove it. Blogspot stats are picking up a lot of referrer spam from gothise currently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chris - enjoy!

    Linda - I've put a link in the sidebar, so they're easy to find as well as easy to cook :)

    Hermes - too true!

    Susan - it goes to show that you never can tell what is going to strike a cord with readers - or googling ;)

    Gwenfar - I'd go for freezing the soup without the Brie - it gets added right at the end

    EE - that's true, but that's only those who click through. I suspect that most of the ones shown are where the search engine has returned a post as part of a search (so is 'read' by a computer)but the human reader involved doesn't click on your link

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...