Post Christmas Traditions


My family's always maximised the value from the traditional Christmas turkey. That all important Christmas dinner, through turkey sandwiches for tea, turkey curry, turkey pie, and finally my mum's rib sticking turkey stew a few days later complete with dumplings.
Our routine's slightly different now, but I can't pass up the opportunity to make soup using the turkey carcass, so here's one I made earlier today. The carcass was simmered for a couple of hours yesterday and left to cool overnight. There was no fat to skim off the top of the resultant broth this morning, so I went straight into stripping off the meat from the bones. I then added 2 large carrots, 1 large onion, 2 large cloves of garlic, a handful each of Puy lentils and pearl barley, plus freshly ground black pepper and fresh herbs from the garden - bay leaves, sage, thyme, oregano and winter savory. That little lot was left to simmer for half an hour and eaten for lunch today- yum, yum!

Comments

  1. On Boxing Day morning I made a lovely turkey soup, something which I learned from my mum. Then late Boxing Day afternoon I became ill with a sickness bug. Lucky for John, he lived on this for a day or two, as I couldn't stomach any or had the strength to cook, some soup got thrown away, I was so disappointed. Oh well, there is always next year's turkey! Yours looks great too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely looking soup but one thing confuses me; what do you mean "fresh herbs from the garden"? Surely your garden is under four feet of snow? Nothing actually stays green and alive during this time of year... right?


    :: weeping:: and stuck in a snowbank in frozen Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise - hope you're feeling better, that's not the best way to spend Christmas :-(
    x

    Julia - Happy New Year and thanks for stopping by again! We've just got fog, frost, rain here at the moment, so my herbs are just about growing in the sheltered patch I've given them. My niece and nephew were most disappointed not to have a White Christmas - perhaps you can send some of your stash of the white stuff over here? ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project