Seen at The Festival of the Tree

...if you would be happy all your life, plant a garden ~ Chinese proverb

Saturday, 15 March 2008

Signs of Spring 7

This Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora' (aka Japanese Rose, Jew's Mallow, Batchelor's Buttons) is exploding into a mass of acid yellow blooms. It picks up where the daffodils leave off further down the side garden bank. This is a real workhorse shrub for me - I usually have a few blooms from December onwards, followed by a mass of yellow from March through to May. It brightens a gloomy part of the garden most effectively!

5 comments:

  1. That is early. I think I have finally killed off ny Kerria-not on purpose-it's just been out competed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More colourful signs of Spring. I have this in my garden, it is a lovely shrub. I gave my Dad an offshoot, and he loves it too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Judith - that's quite a feat, it's usually the other way round!

    Louise - glad you give stuff to your dad as well as the other way round. It's one of the real gardening pleasures isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful and cheerful shrub VP. My favourite photo of my niece and godchild is of her twirling under a kerria shrub with a garland of yellow flowers on her head. She is a cool 17 year old now and would not like to be reminded of the antics of her youth :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna - ah but in a few years time it'll come round full circle and that'll be a photo she'll cherish!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

15/11/2014 - I've allowed Anonymous comments again as Google have recently added some extra security to prevent spam. Let's see how it goes...

If you're having problems leaving comments, you can contact me using the Contact Form at the foot of this page, or via vegplotting at gmail dot com, or @malvernmeet if a quick tweet is more convenient for you. That way I can get things sorted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...