VPGGB #17: Potato Bag


I think this potato bag is one of the best £1's I've spent in a very long time. It's a breathable sack which has a black lining, thus minimising the light getting through to the potatoes inside. As a result, the potatoes last at least twice as long as those kept in a sweaty, light filled plastic bag.

It can hold up to 5 kilos of spuds and because NAH and I eat them only 1-2 times a week, anything which helps to keep them for longer is very handy indeed.

I'll also keep on using it when I dig up this year's crop. By keeping a supply close by in the kitchen, it'll save me having to go outside and dive into the large paper sacks I use to store spuds in the garage whenever spuds take our fancy.

What's your favourite bargain at the moment?

Comments

  1. I have one of those bags, wasn't impressed. They still seem to sprout quickly, I found it better to store potatoes in the fridge, they lasted a lot longer for me. Let us all know how you get on with it through the season

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea. I had a bit of a nasty potato situation with a plastic bag this week, so I will look out for one of these. It's never fun sticking your hand into the middle of a rotten potato!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite bargain this year is the decapitated pyramid bay tree I bought last winter that would have cost £40-odd at the garden centre if someone or something hadn't lopped its top off. Now I've got a well established, mature tree, producing lots of new leaves - all for £5!

    What's the black lining made of in the potato bag?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liz - that's interesting, because I've found the sprouting is slowed down an awful lot. I am keeping it in a dark cupboard as well though (as I have always done), perhaps it's the combination of the 2?

    CJ - oh yuk :(

    Anna - you are correct :)

    Helen - a fantastic bargain. Re the lining, I have no idea - it looks a bit like blackout material.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project