Yes, I've Won a Lettuce

This popped through my letter box on Saturday. I'd completely forgotten I'd entered the competition on the RHS' Grow Your Own Veg website. I'm not happy about the (just about recyclable) plastic packaging though. It contains a 'patented granulate' which soaks up water. The seeds are meant to be at the top, though whether they've stayed that way whilst being conveyed through our postal system remains to be seen - I'll keep you posted (!).

According to the growing instructions, the container should be filled right to the top with water which should be replenished each time the granulate starts getting lighter. It also says helpfully that the Lollo Rosso lettuce is edible and goes with all meals.

Comments

  1. This is pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. As I said before, your are in my gardening blog roll as well as the favs blog roll.

    Have a great week,
    Troy and Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the globular shiny metal thing in your user pic? There's something similar in Millennium Park in Chicago. I think of it as the Giant Jellybean, but it must have a more official name!
    ~ Monica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slug proof lettuce? I don't grow salad leaves in my garden, the slugs always get to it first. I look forward to seeing the results? x

    ReplyDelete
  4. TTs - no problem and thanks for the links. See you soon and enjoy the rest of the week!

    TGF - I've answered your question over at your place. Must go and get the answers to put on here as well...

    Esther - hopefully it'll be OK. Do you think it might be a Plutonian plant in disguise?

    Louise - have a look at the Slugger off garden ideas, especially the pots in the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the first part of the answers I gave to Monica over at her place:

    Thanks for visiting & commenting on my Decisions Made post. You asked about National Trust working holidays. There doesn't appear to be one specific to Zennor this year, but there are plenty in and around the area. Your best bet is to have a look at:

    https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-holidays/w-holidays-working_holidays.htm

    Hope this helps and greetings from sunny England!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project