A Gift From a Stranger


Checking my site statistics late last night, I came across this delightful blog I'd never seen in there before. Nothing surprising in that you may be thinking, but Glanbrydan had linked to me because I've kindly been given the Kreativ Blogger award. That's quite a creative bit of lurking, I'm sure you'll agree :)

The rules with this award are; nominate six blogs that you believe deserve this award and also list six things that you like. I'll come to the nominations a little later on.

In trying to shortlist the myriad things I like, I decided to think about our five senses, provide one like for each and then end with my catch-all 'sixth sense' - something that fills all of my senses. Here's what I came up with - I can't guarantee I'd come up with the same first five another day, but the sixth one's a constant.
  1. Hear - the birds in and around my garden. I'm particularly enjoying the hooting of tawny owls most evenings at the moment when I'm sitting here tending to my blog. We also seem to be the new territory for a green woodpecker.
  2. See - the sea. I may be living inland, but I have an urge from time to time to get my seaside fix. The wilder and stormier the better.
  3. Smell - freshly baked bread. I've rediscovered my bread making skills this year and I'm loving the results.
  4. Taste - chocolate. Especially Whole Nut, or chocolate covered brazils. And preferably plain if it doesn't have nuts in. Of course plain chocolate with nuts is double plus good.
  5. Touch - cat fur. So snuggly and warm. And very special when I'm not feeling very well. Skimble and Jess know when this is so and are the best of nurses.
  6. My sixth sense is my companion for life - NAH. He's the only person who makes me laugh so much, infuriates, surprises, delights. The whole shooting match - even after 25 years of being together. Yes, I can even think of the negative emotions in a positive way, because they're only negative because we care so much. I believe indifference to be the killer in a relationship. Our life together's been quite a roller coaster ride, but I know we don't want to get off. Sorry if I'm sounding very sickly and mawkish, but that's the way it is.
Now to the nominations. This is very tricky because I was tempted to break the rules and give it to everyone I read and comment on regularly, but that would be dozens. So I've decided to break the rules anyway and award it to just two. I've done that because they're doing things with blogging I've not seen anywhere else yet, so that's truly creative in my view. Do step forward and take a bow please:
  • Artist's Garden - for her comics. This week's was the best yet.
  • Arabella Sock for her Scents and Sustainability series. You'll never watch Gardeners' World in the same way ever again. Arabella's in Oz at the moment, so this will be a nice welcome home present for her in a month's time
So Karen and Arabella, it's up to you if you want to play and whether or not you stick to the rules. Remember the first rule of blogging is there are no rules! Thanks Glanbrydan - I'm looking forward to getting to know your blog better.

Have you ever received a gift from a stranger? If so, what was it?

Comments

  1. Hmmm, twice in recent memory!

    From you ( although I suppose we arent complete strangers anymore) - the Cottage Garden Society Membership which was donated to your WaterAid event, and also Garden Monkey sent me a fabulous book, 'The Flower Hunters' (which I have yet to write a review on - TUT) for being 20,000th on their fab blog!

    As for real strangers, over the past few months, I have received and been incredibly touched and heartened by emails from people til then not known to me, wishing me well on my journey. The act of a complete stranger taking the time to reach out and share your space in time and circumstances is very moving, and certainly helped me along the way.

    Blogging is a very special medium I think.

    Zoë xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoe that's a lovely and very moving response. And you're right - blogging's very special :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. VP,

    Nope, not mawkish at all...a treat to read.

    Thank you for asking. There are little gifts that come each day~~the sweet comments from generous bloggers and every now and then stumbling upon a post that resonates to the very core. Then there is the astonishing gift of trust my clients give me when they share their stories. I am deeply touched and honored....

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gail - thanks. I wrote on 1 of my other blogs the other day that comments from my fellow bloggers are my treasured blogging possessions. I'm glad you feel the same way, especially as you have so many to keep up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That lovely necklace made by Karen that I won in your competition a couple of months ago springs to mind! I went to a fancy dinner last Saturday and wore it for the first time (I don't get out much!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. VP - I enjoyed the things that you like through your 6 senses. Especially number 6 - not mawkish but delightful.

    Thank you very much for passing "Kreativ Blogger on to me. I am pleased that you enjoyed the last comic - and over the moon to be in such good company as "the socks" whose blog I also enjoy very much.

    I agree with both Zoe and Gails comments - and I am happy Amanda likes her necklace.

    The "kindness of strangers" never ceases to amaze me.
    Thanks VP
    Big Hug
    K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always great to hear about new and wonderful blogs. Thanks!

    And as husband Steve once said, there's nothing wrong with being sentimental now and then. (We celebrate our 25th soon.)
    --Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda - I'm so glad you like the necklace. Karen's thrilled too as you can see.

    Karen - glad you like the award, you deserve it. I think today's post about Kathryn's scarves follows on from what you've said about the kindness of strangers. It's been a pleasure to be involved and I hope my scarf makes one little girl happy.

    Kate - when do you celebrate your 25th? Ours is next year.

    Deb - many thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a joy to read this post. Reading about your six senses was a gift in itself VP. I always think that compliments are precious gifts. I remember a complete stranger knocking on the door of our previous home to tell me how much they liked a rose in our garden and asking me to tell her more about it.
    I was absolutely delighted. Another 2009 silver wedding anniversary celebrant here :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna - what a perceptive comment. Compliments are so easy to give and mean so much more to the recipient. We often overlook the small acts of kindness that mean so much don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  11. At last I have refound the link! I saw it when I was really jetlagged and then couldn't find it again.

    Thanks for the award! I have recorded GW whilst I was away so I would have some material for S&S but I'm not sure I've got the heart to sit through it all - at least certainly not until I've finished watching Corrie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurrah!

    You'll find most of GW's been repeats whilst you've been away...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you and welcome thoughtful conversations :)

Comments aiming to link back and give credence to commercial websites will be composted!

Your essential reads

Jack Go To Bed At Noon

Salad Days: Mastering Lettuce

Testing Times: Tomatoes

Things in unusual places #26: Rubber Ducks

Chelsea Fringe 2014: Shows of Hands - Episode I

Merry Christmas!

The Resilient Garden

#mygardenrightnow: heading into summer with the Chelsea Fringe

That blue flower: A spring spotter's guide

Introducing the #mygardenrightnow project